VMware Communities
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Setup size of Player version 16.2.0

I am downloading VMWare Player 16.2.0, which became available yesterday. However, this is 584 MB in size. Version 16.1.2 is only 225 MB. Does anyone understand this? Why is the setup more than twice the size?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And the award for most random forum area to post a Workstation Player question goes to….

A moderator will be along to move your thread to an appropriate area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I moved your post to the Workstation Player area (LOL Scott)

As for the question, I wondered the same thing and looks like it is twofold.

First one is that Player now also supports all the container features that previously were only available for Workstation Pro.
Secondly, the installer now also carries all the .iso images for the VMware Tools installers that previously where download after install.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

This could perhaps be the reason for the double size. However, the release notes so far only say:

This release contains security updates and bug fixes.

Some bugs were reported here for version 6.2.0. Maybe I should wait for the next version.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

The release notes for Player are "industry standard"....
They don't have anything interesting in them.

It isn't fun to write release notes, so I get it, but Player has had a lot of changes and none are written out.

re. waiting. From a security point of view that's generally a bad idea, but as we don't now what exactly changed on that front... it might not be too bad. It also depends a lot of how you use Player.

From a features point of view, if you don't want to use Windows 11, none of the developer features and things work fine now, then yes little reason to upgrade and then have new issues.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I only use Windows 10 in the player, my notebook is too old for Windows 11.

0 Kudos