VMware Communities
simonaussie
Contributor
Contributor

Seeking advice on upgrading to windows 10

I am just a home user currently running VMware® Player 6.0.4 build-2249910 on Current Host: Windows 8.1, 64-bit  (Build 9600) 6.3.9600

I am looking to upgrade to Win10.

My question is whether I can just upgrade to Win10 and my VMware® Player 6.0.4 and my instance of XP running on my virtual machine and the programs installed therein will continue to work or do I need to do anything (such as upgrading the VMWare Player?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I have tried searching for articles but cannot find anything about VMware® Player 6.0.4 and upgrading the host to Win10.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
errubin
Contributor
Contributor

I just updated my system from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and my player 6.0.4 loaded but threw an error on power on so I upgraded to Workstation Player 12. At that point I realized my BIOS update had disabled VT and may have been the cause of the error. While I only run Linux VMs, my considered opinion is that player 6.0.4 will work with a Win 10 upgrade and if not, upgrading to Workstation Player 12 and updating VMware tools should do the job. Worst case, both the VMware and Windows updates can be rolled back.

0 Kudos