VMware Communities
cdang_2000
Contributor
Contributor

SR-IOV supported by VMware Workstation Player?

Hi developers,

Consider this question for a VMware newbie!

I am using eval version of VMware Workstation Player 16, and want to use it to exercise SR-IOV PCI infrastructure.

I have installed Ubuntu 21.04 as Host OS running on a server which has actual PCI device.  We have Linux driver for this PCI device to function as Physical Function (PF) device, and we insert the driver on the Ubuntu OS.

Then, I installed VMware Workstation Player 16 evaluation version on the Ubuntu OS, created a CentOS 7 as VM Guest.  I want to use "Add Hardware" to add a PCIe device to the VM Guest, but I can't find such feature on the VMware Workstation Player GUI.  I read the document "Configuring Virtual Machine Hardware Settings" on VMware Workstation Player, but it also does not mention about adding PCIe device.

So, my questions are: Does VMware Workstation Player support SR-IOV functionality?  I don't see the feature on my version is because I am using Evaluation version?

On the other hand, the "VMware vSphere" document mentions about "Add a PCI Device to a Virtual Machine" which seems to me, this feature gives the VM complete control of the PCIe device, not as a Virtual Function (VF) device as indicate in SR-IOV.  Is my understanding correct?

Thanks and hope someone would have answers for the above questions.

Chau

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The {code} area of VMTN is for SDK matters, there is a separate place for Workstation Player - a moderator should move the thread there for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Player does not have PCIe passthrough features.
Only product from VMware with that kind of feature is VMware ESXi/vSphere.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cdang_2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

Thanks much for quick reply!

It surprises me that VMware Workstation Player does not support SR-IOV, whereas VMM (Virtual Machine Management) from KVM does.

Yes, from vSphere document, it appears that it does support "PCIe DirectPath I/O" features.  But, if I understand the document correctly, once the feature is enabled, the VM Guest will have direct access to the PCI device as if it is connected to the Guest's PCIe bus.  This is not the same SR-IOV infrastructure.  Is my understanding of the document correct?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cdang_2000
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I read vSphere document and see that in order for a SR-IOV NIC card to be supported with vSphere, one of the requirements is that it must be "Must be certified by VMware".

Can someone provide me more information (links, etc.) of how we can have this done?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Certification has to be done by the manufacturer of the device.
The manufacturer will have to sign up with the VMware Partner program in order to be able to do so and the steps after that... I don't know as I don't work for VMware, but supposedly a partner can ask.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva