VMware Communities
Eniac1970
Contributor
Contributor

[SOLVED] VMware Player requires NX/XD to run Win8.1 x64 even if already enabled

Hi all,

I have a dual boot on my notebook Lenovo B5400 (Linux Ubuntu 14.10 x64 + Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1)

I made a Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Virtual Machine on host Linux Ubuntu using VMware Player v.6.0 di. When I try tu run this VM on VMware Player v.7.0 on host Win7 Pro x64 SP1, it gives me the error:

"NX/XD is required by windows8-64 guests. The processor must support

NX/XD and it must be enabled in the BIOS"

I verify (see pict) in CoreInfo.exe e and my CPU Core i5-4200M has implemented l'NX/XD. In BIOS the only settings i can enable is Intel VT-X.

If i upgrade di VMware Player to version 7.0 in Linux host, Win 8.1 keeps loading correctly. Some months ago I could load on Windows 7, another VM Win 8.1 whith same features (created in that occasion in Win 7) from same ISO.

I also tried to put manually the CPU virtualizzation settings in the  Win 8.1 VM in VMPlayer, enabling the flags without any change. The error persists.

Let me know if you have any suggests to bypass it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Eniac1970 wrote:

I verify (see pict) in CoreInfo.exe e and my CPU Core i5-4200M has implemented l'NX/XD. In BIOS the only settings i can enable is Intel VT-X.

Your picture shows a - next to NX.  That indicates that NX is disabled. If NX were enabled, you would see an *.

Eniac1970
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for showing my misinterpretation, jmattson.

I returned to BIOS and found in Security section of Memory Protection (not CPU section) the field Execution Prevention and then, after enabling, it works correctly without any warning.

Now I know Linux doesn't require as host, the NX/XD set to run similar VM.