VMware Communities
mattp1086
Contributor
Contributor

[SOLVED] BSOD in Win 10 using accelerated 3d, vm3dmp.sys

I get BSODs in a Win 10 guest running on a Pop OS 20.04 host.  The BSOD is in vm3dmp.sys, with the error PFN SHARE COUNT.

Using dedicated 3d graphics acceleration on a ThinkPad T560 (Nvidia), VmWare being the only application to use the dedicated graphics card, the host is using integrated Intel graphics for everything else.

This is reliably reproducible by running Cubase 10.5 Elements, and trying to add an audio track, causing an instant BDOD.  I have no other display adapters installed (I did have Citrix Workspace, but I uninstalled that and this didn't change anything).  I found a couple of other posts saying that adding:

guestInfo.svga.wddm.enableGDIHW="FALSE" 

in the .vmx file would solve the problem, and indeed, this has so far prevented further BSODs.  This apparently prevents VMWare using 3d acceleration for the Windows GDI API, but continues to allow other 3d acceleration (although I haven't tested whether it is still accelerated for other applications). So it appears to be a bug in the VMWare display driver.

Posting this in case it helps others, and to increase awareness of this bug to VMWare.  Would also be interested if there are any other solutions to this issue.

Labels (1)
  • Hi

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
sg_rangers
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I faced the same issue running windows 11 when I try to open notepad.

Took me a while to isolate to 3d graphics acceleration. 

My friends setup is fine though. We have almost the exact same setup just that he is using nvidia graphics card while I'm on AMD.

I'll try the vmx fix. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos