VMware Communities
nudgingmrp
Contributor
Contributor

Running Samba on a Linux VM - can't see share across network

Hi,

first post here so please be ready to forgive accidental transgressions!

I'm running a Redhat VM in VM Player v 3.0.1, on a Windows XP Pro PC. Samba is running on the VM, and I can access the defined directory fine from the base machine. However I can't get to it from another Windows XP Pro PC (call it PC2) elsewhere on the server.

The Redhat machine has a fixed IP, and is using DNS. The VM network adaptor is set to bridged.

PC2 and the Redhat machine can ping each other both by name and IP address, but if I try
<hostname> or
<ip address> on PC2, I get 'the network path was not found'.

In the section of the smb.conf, the 'hosts allow' line includes the ip address of both the base machine, and PC2.

in /var/log/samba/PC2.log are entries reading: write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Connection reset by peer.

I hope that's not too much/too little info - any ideas what I need to do to make the share visible across the network would be gratefully received!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
error69
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
nudgingmrp
Contributor
Contributor

Corrections:

Second paragraph should have read "However I can't get to it from another Windows XP Pro PC (call it PC2)

elsewhere on the network.",

and in the fourth rich text format ate my backslashes - should have read "(slash slash) hostname or (slash slash) ip address".

Now, where's that flood of helpful replies..?

0 Kudos
nudgingmrp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, tried that but still getting 'the network path was not found' from the network PC.

0 Kudos