VMware Communities
ibwireless
Contributor
Contributor

Running Puppy Linux on VMware Player

Hi,

I have a WinXP machine with VMware player on it that I use at work. I have vmware server at home (running under PCLinuxOS). I have several vm I run at home, including one that is puppy linux 2.15. It is set up to use an iso file that is the puppy live CD.

I moved vm files and the iso image to my work computer and it runs just fine. The issue I have is that I cannot create a persistent save file to the virtual harddisk I setup with vmware server. Every time I shut down I lose everything in my session Smiley Sad

In fact, when I use MUT or other utilities to try and install puppy doesn't see any (virtual) harddrives. I only see a virtual CD-ROM and a virtual floppy.

I'd like to "install" puppy and get a pup_save file setup so I can save info when I shut down vmware.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get it setup to have access to some storage on a virtual harddrive? or better yet, could it possibly access a section of my harddrive that is in windows?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Post the .vmx file from this puppy linux 2.15 virtual machine

0 Kudos
ibwireless
Contributor
Contributor

Here is my .vmx file:

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "160"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "puppylinux215.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "puppy-215CE-Final.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

Ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

displayName = "puppylinux215"

guestOS = "otherlinux"

priority.grabbed = "normal"

priority.ungrabbed = "normal"

workingDir = ""

debug = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d ca ad 1c bf be 8f-5c f9 f8 f8 78 74 1a 67"

uuid.bios = "56 4d ca ad 1c bf be 8f-5c f9 f8 f8 78 74 1a 67"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:74:1a:67"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Your virtual machine is configured to use a Bus Logic SCSI controller. Most newer Linux distributions only include device drivers for LSI Logic SCSI controller on the installer CD. So this is most likely why the installer fails to find the virtual disk.

You could create a new VM and select the "Custom" option ( not Typical) to configure the VM to use virtual LSI Logic SCSI controller or use a virtual IDE disk. Both should work.

0 Kudos
ibwireless
Contributor
Contributor

I tried SCSI with the LSI driver and didn't have any luck. Then tried IDE drive and was able to set that up. I defined a 512MB IDE drive and started Puppy from the .ISO file fine. Running Puppy in RAM I was able to see and mount the drive - listed as /mnt/hda

I was able to read & write to the drive so I though I was in business.

When I try to use that partition to create the pup_save file it says "[b]not a linux partition[/b]" ?? It is formatted as ext3 and I was able to complete the install of puppy from the .ISO to the virtual hd except for creating the GRUB entry. Same error - can't create GRUB because /dev/hda or /mnt/hda are not linux partitions... although all the Puppy files copied over there just fine.

So I now have a Virtual Drive I can actually see, and read/write from - that's progress - but something about it tricks Puppy and it doesn't see it as a Linux partition.

Any thoughts where to go from here? Thanks!

0 Kudos
ibwireless
Contributor
Contributor

Bump ... any ideas?

I have started over but still at a similar point. Have a virtual drive I can mount and see in Puppy, but when I try to save my settings and shut down puppy I always get an error that no suitable partition is available Smiley Sad It is formatted as Ext3 ~ 700MB

Puppy drive mounter lists it as: /mnt/hda or /dev/hda

Thanks

0 Kudos