VMware Communities
japster24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Run a virtual on a virtual

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to run virtual pc (or any virtual software) on a virtual vmware workstation (basically run a virtual on a virtual)?

I'm having trouble running virtual pc on a vmware workstation. Is this even possible?

Thanks!

-jp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run a VM in a VM if you use the right products and settings.

See jmattson's document ( ) for details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I dont think this will work, virtual on virtual would have no access to the underlying hardware.

But more importantly why would you want to :smileylaugh:

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
japster24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply JoeLyons

I'm trying to launch a build script from VisualBuild Pro from a virtual workstation (vista64). In turn this script on the virtual workstation needs to launch another virtual running Windows XP. Any ideas on how to do this?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run a VM in a VM if you use the right products and settings.

See jmattson's document ( ) for details.

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I dont think so, the virtual infrastructure needs access to the underlying hardware

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We can run ESX on VT-capable Workstation hosts, so it's possible. Whether or not the guest virtualization environment will be happy is largely dependent on how the guest environment virtualizes it's further guests.

That said, the features used used by the host to virtualize a guest are difficult to present to the guest.

0 Kudos
japster24
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it appears it's possible, but the environment has to be perfect (which isn't ideal in my situation).

Thanks all!

-jp

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wouldn't call it "perfect" as you only need VT / SVM/ RVI / ... support in the host (depending on the products used) and make sure you only run a 32bit guest which uses BT in the second VM.

0 Kudos
netghost2605
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have just installed ESX 3.5 in worksattion 6.5. I then installed another vm in workstation running win2003 and SQL then just for the hell of it installed win2003 and virtual centre in the vm running ESX 3.5 and it works!!! All this is running on a packard bell laptop with 4 Gb of ram and dual core amd athlon 64 bit. The amazing thing is its perfectly usable. It took a bit of vmx file editing but it works none the less

0 Kudos