VMware Communities
DeiVadder
Contributor
Contributor

Run Windows 8 Dev. Preview on VMware Player

Hello,

When I try to install Windows 8 Developer Preview (64-bit) on VMware Player 3.1, I always get this error:

*** VMware Player internal monitor error ***
vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903
Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=C%3a%5cUsers%5cICH%5cDocuments%5cVirtual%20Machines%5cWindows%20...". Please provide us with the log file (C:\Users\ICH\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 8 DevPrev\vmware.log) and the core file(s) (C:\Users\ICH\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 8 DevPrev\vmware-core[0-1].gz, C:\Users\ICH\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 8 DevPrev\vmware64-core[0-1].gz, C:\Users\ICH\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 8 DevPrev\vmware-vmx-10028.dmp).
If the problem is repeatable, please select 'Run with debugging information' in the Options panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.
To collect data to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support".
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
We appreciate your feedback,
  -- the VMware Player team.

Now my question is: Is it possible to install it with VMware Player or with any other VMware software? I have set the OS to Windows 7 x64.

Regards,

DeiVadder

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DeiVadder
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the double post, but if you can't help me, I have to switch to VirtualBox...

0 Kudos
ukend
Contributor
Contributor

I faced same problem. I could not install windows 8 dev preview on the VMware Player version 3.14.

So I change the virtural machine to VMworkstation8 and finally I could successfully install Windows 8 dev preview on the VMware.

In my opinion, you cannot install Windows 8 dev preview on the VMware Player.

I reccomend you to install the VMware workstation8 because some sites says VMware workstation 8 is only virtual machine to install Windows 8 Dev Preview.

I hope that can be help . Thanks.

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
DeiVadder
Contributor
Contributor

So, I guess the best option is to install it in Workstation and then run it with the Player, right?

0 Kudos
andasa
Contributor
Contributor

You can use either Workstation 8 or Player 4. I have installed and run Win8 dev on several VMs using only Player 4, but the only way to get Player 4 right now is to install Workstation 8.

0 Kudos
DeiVadder
Contributor
Contributor

So, after the Workstation Trial has expired, I'll just have to wait for the VMware Player 4 to come out :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
quasimodo
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone provide a date for this release?

At least a rough one?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

VMPlayer is included with Workstation.  The trial period for Workstation only affects the Workstation UI, not the VM engine or the Player UI.

0 Kudos
quasimodo
Contributor
Contributor

Fair enough but installing the whole suite to just get player is a bit over the top. I should be getting my license upgrade soon anyway (from 7 to 😎 but use player on a second machine.

As a long term customer I would suggest that delaying the release of player 4 won't get you more customers for workstation 8. People will just try another solution.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not disagreeing with you...  I'm a user just like yourself.  I just know that the VMware employees aren't allowed to comment on unreleased products, so am trying to help you with a workaround for the time being.

0 Kudos
quasimodo
Contributor
Contributor

Appreciate it. Just passing on some thoughts to sales :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
greend
Contributor
Contributor

If you go to the Help menu and Check for Updates in VMWare Player 3.1.4, skip the messages about VMWare Workstation 8, then it asks you if you want to download and install VMWare Player 4.0.

Dave

0 Kudos
quasimodo
Contributor
Contributor

It does?  On mine it just offers VM8 and goes to that page. If you cancel out of that nothing happens.

0 Kudos
Chuck_Heatherly
Contributor
Contributor

That is really interesting. Yesterday (9/20), canceling out of the "upgrade to Workstation 8" dialog brought up a "download and install Player 4" dialog. Today that second dialog isn't coming up. I guess they changed it on the server side.

0 Kudos
indicium
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded Player around 1:00 am yesterday (9/20) as I started to shutdown Player 3 the update poped up about Workstation and I skipped that and then another poped up and I first thought that the same one cam up again but I looked closer at the message and it said Player 4 so I stayed up and installed it.  Could be someone set the updated version in place and it wasn't supposed to download until it was posted on the download page.  Wouldn't be the first time I've gotten software when someone made a mistake.

Tuesday morning, I installed Wn 8 without a hitch on Player 4 and if definately looks better on Player than on Virtual Box and was easier to install.

0 Kudos