VMware Communities
Bazmundi
Contributor
Contributor

Restore has broken vmplayer's ability to upgrade??

I had installed 3.1.4 vmplayer and was running a couple of linux desktops successfully on my laptop.

When vmplayer prompted me to upgrade to 4.03 I did so - the 4.03 install uninstalling the 3.1.4 as expected.

Everything worked fine.

Later another application broke and the resolution was to restore windows to a previous time - which was post 3.1.4 install and pre 4.03 upgrade.

With my machine now reset to an earlier epoch, vmplayer (at 3.1.4 again) prompted with the suggestion to upgrade to 4.03.

This time, when the 4.03 install attempted to uninstall the 3.1.4 version it failed and dropped out.  It appears there is a data file about that isn't touched by the restore that causes the 4.03 update to abort if it ins't "right".

The 3.1.4 install still works fine but I cannot now update to 4.03. 

I have tried uninstalling 3.1.4 from the Control Panel to get the same problem - so it appears not to be the 4.03 install as much as the 3.1.4 uninstall.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Is there a fix?

Cheers,

B

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Bazmundi
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I worked out some of that myself, except I have NEtVER come across a software package that pollutes the registry with so much junk (I had to get a wrist brace after I got to the bottom of the registry).  The upshot, I must have accidently broken a registry entry as when I rebooted I had no laptop keyboard or touch pad.  Luckily for me the windoze F8 key got me out of trouble.

I will try the -c option otherwise I am not too proud to stick with 3.1.4 for the moment.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Bazmundi wrote: Wow, I worked out some of that myself, except I have NEtVER come across a software package that pollutes the registry with so much junk (I had to get a wrist brace after I got to the bottom of the registry).  The upshot, I must have accidently broken a registry entry as when I rebooted I had no laptop keyboard or touch pad.  Luckily for me the windoze F8 key got me out of trouble.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to manually edit the Windows Registry in a case such as this!  I'd simply make a .reg file from the information provided in the VMware KB to remove the entries as it is certainly much faster and safer then doing it manually.  As an example I've attached the Cleanup_VMware_Player_Windows_Registry_Entries.reg file in a zip archive.  A double-click of the .reg file and a second later no more VMware Player related entered in the Windows Registry and no accidentally screwing up the Windows Registry in the process.  If you what to safely modify the Window Registry then utilize the information in "How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a registration entries (.reg) fil..." to do so.

I will try the -c option otherwise I am not too proud to stick with 3.1.4 for the moment.

If you're referring to the /c or /clean switch you're supposed to do that first before touching the Windows Registry! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos