VMware Communities
ZenecadE
Contributor
Contributor

Repurpose old server for home firewall. Multiple NICS

I wonder in this is possible.  I have an old unused ML350p Gen8 server that I was considering repurposing as a firewall.  I have set up a VM and can get everything working with a single NIC but the idea is to have 1 NIC dedicated to LAN and the other to WAN.  I can select both NICS in the setup and bridge them but the VM only uses one NIC.  How do I configure this?
The idea is to have the internal network switch -> Server LAN port -> Firewall magic -> Server WAN port -> ONT.

I have no idea how to get the VM to recognize the different NICS because VMWare seems to lob everything into the same pool.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation Pro has a Virtual Network Editor which allows custom networking - that might allow you to do what you want.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-AC956B17-30BA-45...

Or use ESXi (vSphere Hypervisor) if you can get that working on your hardware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have both VM NIC's bridged and give them static IP addresses in the different subnets. One "connected" to your router for Internet, and the other to the new local subnet. You will then have to connect the "protected" computer(s)  to that subnet as a gateway. 

I do similar  (not for a firewall) but use a repurposed system running ESXi with an added network card. Works fine.

If your system is very old, you may have to use an older version, the current one is 7.0. We still run 6.5 on an older Dell Server (2012?). I think you can still run ESXi free, with restrictions. I also think the trial runs for 60 days.

0 Kudos