VMware Communities
mmartin0926
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recovering Files from Non-Working VM to a New One... Possible?

Hello,

I've been having a problem getting my XP virtual machine to boot up all the way.

I have detailed description on what happend with this post here --> Unable to Open .VMX File... Syntax Error Line 1

The problem is that I was using the VM on Monday and all was perfectly fine. I shut it down when I was done, with no problems at all. The next day I plugged in my external SSD drive and tried to run my XP VM and I got an error message saying syntax error in the vmx file file on line 1.

When I opened the vmx file it was all jibberish. So I followed the instructions on vmware.com to restore the config using the vmware.log file, which I did just fine.

After that I tried booting up the VM again and got past that 1st error message I saw, and then I got a new error that said, "Windows-XP-Professional.vmdk has internal consistency errors that may be caused by partial corruption of the disk file. It is recommended that you restore.... etc" I clicked "Yes" when it asked to try to repair the disk and then eventually it went to boot up again. This time I see the "VMWare" splash screen and after that the window became black with a non-blinking "underscore" cursor on the left of the screen. Then it just sits at this spot forever, until I "Power Off" the VM.

At this point I don't know how to proceed...?

Is it possible to create a new VM and use the VM files that contain my files from my XP VM? I created a backup of the VM a little over a month ago but since then I have added a bunch of very important files to it that I need to get back...

If anyone has any idea at all, please don't hesitate to reply!!

I will attach the screenshots of the error messages I saw. They will be named in the order that I saw them. The last one is where it sits forever when I try to boot up.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
0 Replies