VMware Communities
CyrusTheVirus
Contributor
Contributor

Reactivation required when using workstation but not player

Hi,

I have an XP mode with my Windows 7 laptop which Ive been having trouble with.

I have converted it to VM using Vmware converter and then opening it in player.

I had trouble with activation but using XPMode = True in the VMX file did the trick.

The problem is, I would like extra features so I installed a version of VMWare workstation we bought a while back (Version 6.5) expecting to be able to use this. Unfortunately, when I open the VM in this package, windows asks me for activation again. XPMode = True is still present in the VMX file but it appears to ignore it.

If I uninstall and go back to player (V5.0.2) the same VM opens without issue and doesnt require activation.

Is there something in the package which makes it think it has different hardware? if so how do i get around it?

I tried actvating over the internet but it didnt work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Workstation 6.5 is simply too old - support for XP Mode was added in Workstation 7.

0 Kudos
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Have you tried telephonic activation ?

some times it happen with physical system if you have activated multiple times.so please try to activate over telephone.

"You must not lose faith in humanity".
0 Kudos
indicium
Contributor
Contributor

If you created the VM on Player 5.0.2, this is the same architecture as Workstation 9.0.2 and some of the features may not work in Workstation 6.5. The best way to proceed would be to download the trial version of Workstation 9 and see if that works.

0 Kudos