VMware Communities
liwing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Quantity of VMs in a PC

How many VMPlayers can i run in a PC with an i5 2500k and 16gb ram, assuming each VM will have 1gb ram, running winxp and some other application as heavy as a game (so that it gets near 95% of ram usage) ? And what if is 2gb allocated for the VMs ? Does HDs have influence? If so, i have 4 7200 rpm HDs. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There could and most probably will be a bottleneck at your CPU (i5 2500k = 4 cores = 4 threads) that may cause significant performance decrease if you run 7 vm's.

Regards, Harold

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
liwing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would also like to know much a CPU weighs in the performance, assuming i will not be running so cpu-intensive applications, and when it would be a limiting factor.

So, theoretically, with 16gb ram, i can run 14 VM's with 1gb ram allocated to them. That CPU can support that?. And what if my pc had 32gb ram?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Theoretically 14 might be a good number but VM player is not designed to host multiple VMs simultaneaously - my estimation to get that many VMs running they would have to be idle - you will definitly hit an issue with CPU contention running that many VMs even if you added memory -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
liwing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, i could probably run 7 then?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes but I would not hold my breath for good performance - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There could and most probably will be a bottleneck at your CPU (i5 2500k = 4 cores = 4 threads) that may cause significant performance decrease if you run 7 vm's.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
liwing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see, I think i'll have just to test myself, thanks for the information.

Ah, let me ask one more thing, its cause i still dont have that pc, im going to build it in a few weeks. So i cant test now.

So, what if i gave 14gb to the VM, and almost all cores to it, and i ran 9± instances of my program ?

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think it would depend on how much CPU or Memory demanding your application would be. My estimate would be ~7 instance if it is CPU hog.

Regards, Harold
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it also depends on the host OS
with a new Linux with latest kernels or a 2008 R2 hosts you can not run as many VMs as with older host OS

also if you run VMplayer 4 you can run less VMs than with VMplayer 3

0 Kudos
liwing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the information.

0 Kudos