Luke_Nelson
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Booting Resulting in Trap 00000006 Error

Product: VMware® Player

Version 6.0.5 build-2443746

Host Operating system: Windows XP

Virtual Machine Op System : Windows XP

Hello I am new to the forum so hope this is posted correctly and my knowledge of VMware products is very much limited so please bear with me.

I am experiencing some issue while installing VMware Player. I have the required VMDK file and have correctly selected it within the program but upon launch the program faults with a Trap 00000006 Error (image attached). I have uninstalled and gone through the process again but I am still met with the same error!

After looking online this would seem to suggest that the system files of my VMDK are corrupt or damaged?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please clarify "I have the required VMDK file ...".

Trap 0000006 is usually caused by a corrupted NTLDR.

André

0 Kudos
Luke_Nelson
Contributor
Contributor

The folder which I have pointed to within the "Working Directory" directory contains the following:

NVRAM File

VMSD

VMXF

VMware Virtual Machine Config

VMware Virtual Disk File

Along with various log files

If NTLDR is corrupt how can this be repaired as I can not access disk repairer with the standard "R" key.

Many thanks for your quick reply

Luke

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To determine whether the issue could be related to VMware Player, or to the guest OS itself, it might help to check the entries in the VM's .log files. Please attach the VM's latest vmware.log file to a reply post.

Has this VM ever worked on your system? Maybe it's a simple issue caused by a corruption while copying the files to your system!?

André

0 Kudos
Luke_Nelson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Please see the attached Log file. I have never used VM on this machine but have re copied the file to my system several times in the same thought that the file may have become damaged. Is it possible to view the file in some sort of "Explorer" view? So I could attempt to replace the possibly damaged NTLDR.INI file?

I have also tried installing the player and file on an identical machine but returns the same error.

Many Thanks

Luke

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you could do is to attach the virtual disk to another (helper) VM as a second disk.

I noticed that the virtual disk is mounted as an "IDE" disk. Did you receive the VM including the configuration file, or did you only receive the .vmdk file, and recreated the configuration file? What disk type (ddb.adapterType) is configured in the .vmdk's header?

Note: Depending on the virtual disk file's format, the header is either in a separate .vmdk file, or embedded in the .vmdk file (in case of a single, monolithic .vmdk file), in which case you will need an editor which can deal with binary

André

0 Kudos