VMware Communities
mdowaliby
Contributor
Contributor

Pre-Configured Virtual Appliance Format Advice?

Hello,

I'm very new to these forum's so excuse me if I am asking a redundant question, but in my defense I have looked around extensively and found nothing specific to this topic.

If i am trying to deliver a preconfigured virtual appliance to a customer running vmware what is the best file format to send?

I know that there are .VMX files and .OVF files, but i struggle on which one to send, both seem to have given customer problems in the past. Any advice on vmware vsphere 4 or any other vmware product and the use of OVF or VMX files would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Max

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the most compatible format is using the vmx-file plus a growing vmdk split in 2gb slices.

This can be directly used by all hosted platforms and can be imported into ESX.

Only use the ovf format if you can test wether it can be extracted on the target platform yourself.

Make sure you do NOT use a virtual hardware version that is newer then what is used by the recipient

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook