VMware Communities
ajlazarou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pop_OS 20.04 host: Player crashes when I launch Win 10 VM

I am still tying to learn the ways of the VM so bare with me.

When I launch vmware and configure my Windows 10 guest VM, everything is fine. But when I launch into the Windows 10 VM, it immediately crashes. I've attached a screenshot that will hopefully explain what I mean.

Here's what I've tried so far:

I had it originally set to 4/6 CPU cores, 8/16GB RAM, and the recommended 8GB Graphics Memory.

I lowered it to 2/6 CPU cores 2/16GB RAM, and I halved the Graphics Memory

I erased the original VM, then I selected "install the OS later" to see if the install wasn't done right.

I don't know if this helps, but I also tried launching Player with sudo.

Thanks,

ajlazarou

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From your wording, do you mean launching the install of Win10 VM, not the actual installed Win10? Perhaps not? I'm not touching the actual install in the following.

Either way, you have to turn on Virtualization from BIOS. It is required. If you don't, Player crashes immediately.

When configuring VM, you probably need to select "Virtualize CPU Performance Counters". This is VM OS specific and is the case in my Host system (with i7) for Win 10 VM.

I think your memory/cpu configurations are fine, either way.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From your wording, do you mean launching the install of Win10 VM, not the actual installed Win10? Perhaps not? I'm not touching the actual install in the following.

Either way, you have to turn on Virtualization from BIOS. It is required. If you don't, Player crashes immediately.

When configuring VM, you probably need to select "Virtualize CPU Performance Counters". This is VM OS specific and is the case in my Host system (with i7) for Win 10 VM.

I think your memory/cpu configurations are fine, either way.