VMware Communities
djdave238
Contributor
Contributor

Poor Performance on Mobile i9 with E-Cores

I am running Workstation Player 17.0.2 on a Lenovo Legion 7 Pro, Windows 11 Home, with an Intel i9 (13th Gen) and 32 GB of DDR5 (5600MHz) RAM, and 1 TB of SSD.

The VM (running Windows 10) freezes all processing (visual, sound, mouse, keyboard, everything) every few seconds as if it doesn't have enough resources.

The VM is assigned 2 cores, 4GB of RAM, and 512 MB of display memory.  I also tried it with more resources, same result.

This is the ONLY machine that is freezing like this, and the only difference I can see that is potentially meaningful is that this i9 has 16 E-Cores (factory-nerfed, undersized "efficiency" cores) that might be trying to shoulder the load of the VM errantly instead of leaving this heavy-lift to the actual P-Cores.

If I can't resolve this performance issue WITHOUT fully disabling all 16 E-Cores in the BIOS, then this laptop is going back to Costco ASAP.  VMWare Workstation is a mandatory part of my workflow.

Is there a way to disable eCores from interfering with VMWare?  Or am I looking in the wrong place?  The Windows installation on both the laptop and the VM guest is practically vanilla, and I have no issues like this on any other machine.

0 Kudos
0 Replies