VMware Communities
HarryAB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player, win8 and Truecrypt questions?

Hi All,

I am trying the win8 eval copy and am waiting fro Truecrypt to finish encrypting the win8 System partition, which popped the thought to mind.

Truecrypt will encrypt all sectors of a drive whether there is data or not so that to a Partition manager for instance, the drive looks full.

So far, so good. But, I understand that Player will expand the virtual hard drive space the Host is providing to suit the needs of the Guest up to the predefined max.

Now the questions:

1:

As the virtual drive is expanded, what happens with the newly available sectors regrading Truecrypt's encryption?

2:

Does Truecrypt magically understand the drive just suddenly got bigger and it needs to encrypt all the new empty sectors?

3:

Do only the originally encrypted sectors remain as the only encrypted data?

4:

Does Player copy the last sector of the original virtual drive and use it as a boilerplate for formatting the sectors it is adding to the expanding virtual drive?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The guest dosn't know about the virtual disk and how it works. From the guest's point of view it's a disk with the full provisioned size, so when TrueCrypt encrypts sectors which are not already allocated by VMware Player, VMware Player transparently grows the .vmdk file. A full encryption of the guest filesystem will therefore inflate the virtual disk to it's full size.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The guest dosn't know about the virtual disk and how it works. From the guest's point of view it's a disk with the full provisioned size, so when TrueCrypt encrypts sectors which are not already allocated by VMware Player, VMware Player transparently grows the .vmdk file. A full encryption of the guest filesystem will therefore inflate the virtual disk to it's full size.

André

0 Kudos
HarryAB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André,

Absolutely correct. Had I waited I would have seen that the VMDK Files is now 47G in size from the original 12G. No matter, as it is on a dedicated USB-3 connected SSD and still plenty left for Linux Mint. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the comment though.

Harry

0 Kudos