VMware Communities
cLauDe201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Player issue with PAE / Ubuntu 10.04

Hi!

After upgrading Ubuntu on the host system from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS, I'm trying to get a working installation of VMware Player (or anything else that will play my old virtual machines for that matter) again.

VMware Player 3.1.4 installs fine but won't open virtual machines, as my processor "does not support PAE, which is required by VMware Player".

I'm not sure, whether the processor (Pentium M 1.4 GHz) really doesn't support it, or whether the combination of Player 3.1.4. and Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't allow it to be recognized.

As I didn't find a solution for that easily, I tried installing VMware Player 3.0.0 and 2.5.1, both of which fail to compile some of the modules on first startup.

Now I don't know how to proceed at all....?!?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Many Pentium M processors do not support PAE.

cLauDe201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I didn't really expect that (not sure if it is actually true for my CPU though).

But I suppose the best would be to go for Player Version 2.5 then..

Any hints on how to get that to compile on Ubuntu 10.04? (or would the chances be better on 11.04 maybe?)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try searching for 'workstation 6.5 ubuntu 10.04.'

cLauDe201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I found lots of pages on that, each with slightly different recommendations, and I don't really feel like trying them all Smiley Sad.

Isn't there some version of ubuntu >= 10.04 and Player <=3.0 / Workstation <= 6.5 that should work out of the box?

0 Kudos