VMware Communities
kicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Player and Server side by side?

Is there a way to run VMware Player and Server side by side on the same partition? Thanks, Tom

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

No, I don't think so. Not sure what host O/S you're running, but the installation files for Server and Player overlap, and I don't think you can get them running on the same host at the same time.

0 Kudos
kicks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My host OSs are Windows 2k, XP and Vista, my guests' additionally diverse Linux distris.

Until now, in order to demonstrate Player and Server, I run a second machine and show it in an UltraVNC window on the first machine. Probably, a VM Player cant be demonstrated WITHIN a guest machine which runs in a VM Server? Thanks again for your attention, Tom

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You can run VMserver inside a VMplayer VM if your host has Intel VT support.

Other than that - yes you can install both apps to the same partition but the procedure is so d a m n tricky that it is only suited for masochists with a lot of time. Anyway - you can't use both versions at the same time.

So I guess your best option is to run VMserver inside a VMplayer VM - if your CPU allows VT extensions

Ulli

0 Kudos
jruschme
Contributor
Contributor

Turning the solution around a bit...

Could one install server on one box and then have both player and the server console on a second box?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can have VMware Player or Workstation installed with the VMware Server Remote console

0 Kudos