VMware Communities
Zeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Player 4.0 upgrade takes out VMware tools update

Okay I looked through the forum and didn't see a similar problem, so I thought I'd ask, neophyte here so please be gentle.... lol

I upgraded my player to the 4.0 when it came out, no problem. Then I tried to get the Tools to upgrade and got the warning message about can't do that so I read the KB article and put in the extra line in the .vmx file. Now I get the thing almost installed and I get the error message "Error 1316 Network error occured trying to read C:\Windows\Installer\vmwaretools.msi.

I looked over the KB for that error and came up with a modification to the registry to rename an entry in that section refering to the tools, but the only entry for VMware I can find in that section of the registry refers to the vmware player, nothing on vmware tools so I left it alone.

I cannot remove the VMware tools in the WinXP guest operating system as it says it's a bad install. I cannot see the VMware tools in the host operating system which is 64 bit Win7 Pro. I've tried running a repair of the Player install but I just can't get this thing to play. If I try to access the "Install VMware Tools" in the host operating system, it's grayed out. The VMware Tools icon in the WinXP guest OS still shows and upgrade is available.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Zeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Bump ^

Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Figuring out a way to uninstall the tools from the guest operating system might be a start but I cannot even figure out how to do that with the failed install error message.

I've even looked over the host and guest OS's for the file mentioned; vmwaretools.msi  and it's not even on the computer.

Oh, I did locate the Vmware Tools section mentioned in the one KB article, it was in the WinXP guest OS registry, made the changes to the CD drive letter as noted in the KB, but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Zeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Bump^

I guess my only course of action is to uninstall the 4.0 Player and go back to the older version?

0 Kudos
Zeeb
Contributor
Contributor

No answer actually obtained but I see subsequent posts with a similar issue and no answer from VMWare or anyone else.

0 Kudos
Zoid
Contributor
Contributor

I see atm there are no tools available to download. Maybe keep an eye out for a new tools version to remedy this problem. I wait for tools also, will hold of install until tools again are available.

0 Kudos