VMware Communities
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Player 4.0.3 Tools version problem?

Was the version of VMware Tools supposed to increment for Player 4.0.3? The Windows ISO for it, created 1 May, contains the same version of Tools released in January/February with Player 4.0.2 (that is, Tools 8.8.2). By contrast, the latest version of Fusion (4.1.2) has Tools 8.8.3.

I sure hope this isn't another Player Tools release problem that will take a month to fix again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It turns out that Workstation 8.0.3 also still comes with the old Tools 8.8.2. I'm surprised by that, given the updates to the SCSI and floppy drivers that were mentioned in the release notes for both Player 4.0.3 and Workstation 8.0.3. I hope it's correct. I'm tempted to use the ISO's that came with Fusion 4.1.2 to load Tools 8.8.3 on Player 4.0.3 to see what happens.

0 Kudos
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tools 8.8.3 (from Fusion 4.1.2) appears to work fine on Player 4.0.3. Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit host running 32-bit Windows 7 guest. All I've really tested is screen handling and networking, but it looks OK.

So why are Tools 8.8.2 on Player 4.0.3 and Workstation 8.0.3?

0 Kudos
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, just over a month later, and we get updates to Fusion 4.1.3, Workstation 8.0.4, and Player 4.0.4. And they're all using Tools 8.8.4, as expected.

Looks like the new employee training is really paying off. :smileyplain:

0 Kudos