wg99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player 4.0.2 install tools error

Greetings,

host windows XP/SP3, guest Windows7;

installing Player 4.0.2 I run into the error

'Could not find component on update server. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator.'

when Update VMware tools.

I've read some other threads obout similar issues, however I did not find a solution.

Any hints?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

jan1024188.com wrote:

Actually I found it in vmware folder, now gonna try and mount it with deamon-tools.

???  There is no reason to do so!  Follow the directions both Woody and I posted for you - or read the Player documentation which also spells out the step-by-step instructions for installing VMware Tools!!!

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I have tools installed now, and 3D is working, but my game is not Smiley Sad

Im sorry, I only used vmware once years ago and now again I'm noob about it.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, installing game dependencies solved the problem.

But I have one problem, which is probably not vmware related...I have my display server freezing when using vmware...randomly screen just freezes and the only thing working is mice and I can go into lower runlevel, but thats about it...so I need to reboot. Its kinda annoying and happens often. Or maybe its gnome issue.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,  I have asked many times where to find the Windows.iso file and have been given a link.  How do I find the link without asking here again and again?  I am running VMware Player which does not ship the file in the DL.  If there is a page on the VMware site that will always lead to the latest version of the Windows.iso, I would really appreciate knowing.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

johnhc wrote:

WoodyZ,  I have asked many times where to find the Windows.iso file and have been given a link.  How do I find the link without asking here again and again?  I am running VMware Player which does not ship the file in the DL.  If there is a page on the VMware site that will always lead to the latest version of the Windows.iso, I would really appreciate knowing.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

No, there isn't.  The built-in downloader is *supposed* to go out to the correct site and download the available Tools installers.  So either the site does not exist, does not have the correct/expected version of the Tools, or the updater function in Player 4.0.2 is pointing to the wrong location.

As a temporary workaround, you can use the link Woody has posted numerous times for the 4.0.1 Tools installers; or you can download the Workstation installation package, extract to a temporary folder, and run the 6 Tools installers from there - which will silently extract the 6 ISO image files and put them into your Player folder.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RDPetruska, thanks for your reply.  I cannot DL VMware Workstation because I use Player and do not pay to use Workstation.  Right now I simply capture the iso when the automatic tools installer connects the ISO to my guest optical drive.  Right this minute I do not care about 4.0.2 since I continue to run 4.0.1.  Surely there is a VMware page with these DLs.  Where did WoodyZ get his link - from the built-in downloader?   Thanks and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One can always download the Workstation installation package with a trial license.  I never said to *install* Workstation, just download the file and extract the contents!

I don't know where Woody got the link... yes, likely from tracing the built-in updater function.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, thanks RDPetruska.  I would rather not get on yet another e-mail distribution list - so no trials.  Perhaps WoodyZ will respond.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

johnhc wrote: I would rather not get on yet another e-mail distribution list - so no trials.

You are already on VMware's list, so to speak, and I doubt you'll receive any more e-mail from VMware then you already do however you certainly can opt out at any time.  BTW If you're able to post in these forums then you can download the VMware Workstation installer without requesting the free 30-day trial serial number.

Perhaps WoodyZ will respond.

The URL's comes from different vmware*.log files as applicable.  There is nothing officially published that I know of and one wouldn't even need to know the URL to begin if what VMware released would function properly.

Even though VMware Player is a free product and is not supported by VMware Tech Support nonetheless have look at: VMware Player 4.0.2 Tools - Bad Support

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thanks for your reply.  I searched high and low in all my VM files (including *.log) both on my host and guest and found nothing like a tools DL URL.  I found  many lines like: VMware Tools for Windows 2000 or later: 8.8.1(528992) install=old update=no!  url='' id='tools-windows'

but no URL.  I suspect Player does it differently.

I tried to DL Workstation yesterday and got a message that I did not belong to the correct group.  I am not interested in Tools for 4.0.2 but in establishing a good method for obtaining the latest Tools no matter the Player version.  I do many Windows installs on my VM, so I install Tools silently during my unattended Windows install and need a source for Windows.iso so I can build my Tools installer.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have lots of URL entries in my "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\vmware-Administrator\vmware-Administrator-1784.log" file, on the Host, pointing to different locations and at https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/player/.. and also have them for other VMware products in different vmware*.log files on different systems/platforms.

This is not the first time getting VMware Tools for a VMware Player release has been an issue so all I can say is if you what reliability then download and extract the VMware Tools Installers out of the target VMware Workstation Installer Package and use them as they are always there in the release.  (Even if you have to submit a request for the free 30-day trial serial number.)

johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks WoodyZ.  I have tons of those in the log  I created when Player was installed.  None was as explicit as yours.  For now, I will stick to grabbing the ISO when I install Tools the first time on a VM.  Thanks for your help.  Enjoy, John.

sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look followings thread ... http://communities.vmware.com/thread/344663
Sakibpavel
0 Kudos
JoeBnKY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same error installing and updating to Player 4.0.2 from 3.0 and 4.0.1. My OS is Win 7 64 bit. Host OS is Ubuntu 11.04 32 & 64 bit.

0 Kudos
pcguy999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is now Feb 18th and this problem is still occurring in VMWare player 4.0.2 build-591240 that I stupidly upgraded to after being told it was an update to VMWare player. Why the heck does VMWare release this software updates if they are not complete? Geez

0 Kudos
Virthein
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The tools are uploaded in following thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1991236#1991236

0 Kudos