wg99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player 4.0.2 install tools error

Greetings,

host windows XP/SP3, guest Windows7;

installing Player 4.0.2 I run into the error

'Could not find component on update server. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator.'

when Update VMware tools.

I've read some other threads obout similar issues, however I did not find a solution.

Any hints?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
35 Replies
emdok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There's certainly something wrong with the latest release.  It does not install the vmware tools packages to the directory and the package updater fails.  What have they done to VMware player?

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please help, I have same problem. Any way to fix it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This issue will probably be corrected within the next few days and I've see this with other releases.  Right now the latest repository showing is 4.0.1 at: http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/player/

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont get it. Why do you guys release a version, that not only needs third party patch just to get it working with kernel 3.2, but has no support for anything.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

jan1024188.com wrote:

I dont get it. Why do you guys release a version, that not only needs third party patch just to get it working with kernel 3.2, but has no support for anything.

VMware documents *SUPPORTED* host OS's in the release notes of their products.  If a user insists on installing on an UNSUPPORTED OS/kernel, then the user is on their own to get the product installed.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But the availablility for Vmware tools is not available on any platform...making it a completely useless version. Should be released same time as new version to avoid issues.

Im sorry if Im an asshole here, I just really wanted to try play some windows game via vmware as its really really hard to get it working with wine. Requires custom wine compilation and lots of tweaking...probably few days work to get it running.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any way to get tools working with 402, maybe a way to use 401's tools?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Either just use VMware Player 4.0.1 until VMware gets with the program (so to speak and no pun intended) or download and use VMware Workstation 4.0.2 which contains VMware Player.  Or extract the VMware Tools ISO Images from the VMware Workstation installer or use the VMware Tools from VMware Player 4.0.1.  It's your choice and all of these options have been covered ad nauseum so either search the Communities or Google on how to do the various workarounds.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already installed host in my 4.0.2 and the game I want to play (very big downloadable), so I kinda don't want to go from scratch.

How do I go with installing tools of 401? Googled no help.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>How do I go with installing tools of 401? Googled no help.

Use the link Woody posted earlier to download the 4.0.1 tools installers.

>I already installed host in my 4.0.2 and the game I want to play (very  big downloadable), so I kinda don't want to go from scratch.

Uninstalling/reinstalling/updating Player has no effect on your existing virtual machines.  To your host, a VM is merely a document/file.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I just download this

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/player/4.0.1/528992/windows/

And install it in host?

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with vmware.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried but when I click on .exe for windows tools, nothing happens.

http://shrani.si/f/38/BU/1FdTarhW/screenshot-at-2012-02-01.png

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, run the exe on the host.  It will extract the iso image file and move the iso image to the Player folder.

Then, you can install the Tools like before - Player menu Install VMware Tools - will mount the ISO image to the VM's CD-ROM drive.  Then in the guest, run the Tools installer.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where do I get the iso file?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jan1024188.com wrote: Where do I get the iso file?

As an example for a Windows 2000 Guest or later on a Windows Host download http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/player/4.0.1/528992/windows/packages/tools-windows-... on the Host.  Then untar it and then execute the tools-windows-8.8.1.exe file on the Host.  It then silently extracts and installs the windows.iso and windows.iso.sig files to VMware Players Working Directory.  Then just install VMware Tools normally by selecting Install VMware Tools on the Virtual Machine menu.  No need to move anything anywhere.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did that, waited 5 minutes, tried installing tools from menu.

On first attempt got screen freeze had to reboot, than retried captured this screen.

http://shrani.si/f/3G/R8/3qkGIOtv/screenshot-at-2012-02-02.png

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In that screen shot, in Task Manager, I see the tools-windows-8.8.1.exe however if you rebooted the Host then it can only be there because you executed it again, why!?  You only need to execute the tools-windows-8.8.1.exe file one time for it to install the windows.iso file to the VMware Player Working Directory, and it does that silently,

Then if VMware Tools will not install to the Guest normally then do it manually.  Assign the windows.iso file to the CD/DCD and then start the install from within the Guest by running the setup.exe from the CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Because nothing happens when I run the executable..nothing mounts into CD.

Where do I get windows.iso?

0 Kudos
jan1024188_com
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually I found it in vmware folder, now gonna try and mount it with deamon-tools.

0 Kudos