VMware Communities
dalepres
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Player 2.5 usb: This device can perform faster

I have a VM I created with VMWare Server 2.0. I added a USB port to the VM using the admin tools.

The guest is Windows XP x86 SP2.

The server host is Vista x64 SP1. When I connect my thumb drive to the guest, I get the notice, "This device can perform faster" if I connect it to a USB 2.0 port. The host port is USB 2.0 and the host recognizes the thumb drive as USB 2.0 as expected.

Next, I move the VM to a Vista X86 host running Player 2.5. This is the ultimate environment that this VM needs to run on; the server information above is only provided as background. On Player 2.5, I get the same warning when connecting the thumb drive to the guest. The thumb drive works properly on the host.

Is there something special that has to be done to make the guest recognize that the thumb drive is on a USB 2.0 port?

Thanks in advance.

Dale

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you enable the USB 2.0 setting in the USB controller? What version did you create your VM as? If a Server 1.x-compatible version, then that does not support USB 2.0. You need at least a Workstation 6 compatible VM.

If you want, you can use my VMX Builder to create and edit your VMs on Windows hosts. See my profile for website.

Rob

0 Kudos
dalepres
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Rob.

I am on the road for the week and can't test your tips yet but they definitely point me in the right direction. I had not noticed the settings in server for configuring a USB port to 2.0. Now that I know what to look for, I did find what I missed in a different installation of Server.

I also checked out your utilities. Nice set of tools. Thanks for sharing them. With your tools, I was able to identify the differences in a properly configured USB 2.0 version configuration file and my improperly configured file.

When I get back in town Friday I will be able to test your suggestions and I'm sure fix my VM.

Thanks,

Dale

0 Kudos
dalepres
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used your tools to create a new VMX file and edit until I got it working. Very handy stuff; thanks for sharing it.

For future readers, here are the changes/additions finally made:

virtualHW.version = "6"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "true"

The virtualHW.Version line is, by default when created by VMWare Server 2.0, set to 4. Change it to 6.

If you added the USB controller when creating the VM the second line above will already be there.

Then, the last line above is what makes the USB port work as 2.0.

It should have been easier in the VMWare user interface but hopefully these instructions can help others with the same requirement.

0 Kudos