VMware Communities
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Player 16.2.4 on Ubuntu 22.04 5.15.0-41-generic Fails to Launch W10 Guest

Player 16.2.4 on Ubuntu 22.04 kernel version 5.15.0-41-generic fails to launch any guest machine, as has Player 16.2.3.

Double-clicking on guest .vmx files triggers a popup window with the error: 

```

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

```

Any thoughts about how to get the application to work would be especially well received.

The application has failed, and failed, and failed yet again for three or four months now, at least.  Every attempt to manually compile vmmon has failed.

13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Probably no need for 2 threads on the topic: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/vmmon-Failing-to-Compile-for-Player-16-2...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New version, new topic.

The other topic is concerned with the fact that Player 16.2.3 fails.

This topic is concerned with the fact that Player 16.2.4 fails.  Whatever the developers may have addressed in this version, it had no effect on this behavior.

joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

thanks for reporting this. Is it just W10 Guest or you are unable to launch any other Linux Guest also

with player 16.2.4? 

0 Kudos
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@joshiga, I found the solution before having an opportunity to test with a Linux guest.

The solution is to configure the Linux GUI to retain file history.  In Ubuntu 22.04, open Settings > Privacy > File History & Trash > File History and toggle the File History switch on.

Thanks to @sdaks in this post, which addresses the issue for an earlier Ubuntu version and Linux Mint, which have different configuration GUIs and menus although the issue seems to remain the same.

This said, Player 16.2.4 remains deeply flawed.

0 Kudos
jiamo2
Contributor
Contributor

Try to using https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules but don't work. can't active  /dev/vmmon

I follow the https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/ubuntu-how-tos/how-to-install-vmware-workstation-16-pro-on-ubu... try to solve. But `Reboot the system and then press any key to start the MOK management utility` don't happened. directly go to grub.

@ebsf1   How this ` configure the Linux GUI to retain file history. `. (is hosted machine gui?) related to vmnet or vmmon ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ebsf1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

File history retention is configured in the Linux host's Settings.  In Ubuntu 22.04, open Settings and nav to Privacy > File History & Trash > File History and move the File History to "on."

There probably is a corresponding gsettings entry in the dconf editor.

The setting is completely unrelated to the VMware modules, and probably has more to do with GNOME3.

0 Kudos
allofmybrain
Contributor
Contributor

Hey together,

I have exact the same problem on Zorin OS 16.2 with VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.4. I have test all what I found in the web inlc. File History, MOK, etc. and I've done a few new installs to have a clean system for new solution tests.

Is there no solution from VMware? Does it make sense to open an official support call?

I hope that there will be a solution soon, because I wanted to switch to Linux, but I can't switch without my companys Windows VM. 😉

0 Kudos
Nathanaela
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using VMWare on a derivative of Ubuntu 22.04 (and prior versions) base for a really long time accessing many different vm's including windows 10 & 11 vm's. 

Here is the steps you need to do and I have to do them fairly frequently as any time your OS gets a new kernel it will cause vmmon to be out of date and needs to be re-installed.    The standard vmmon source that SHIPS with 16 frequently gets out of date and no longer compiles on new kernels, which is probably why you are not able to proceed...      I'm currently using 16.2.3 and I didn't see any reason to bother wasting the time to upgrade to 16.2.4, but the steps are identical (and I just did them yesterday, as my Ubuntu install updated the kernel again this time to Kernel 6.0)...

1. You need git installed, and your OS's build tools installed.

2. git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

3. cd vmware-host-modules

4. "git checkout player-16.2.4"  or "git checkout workstation-16.2.4"   (depending on if you are using Player or Workstation)

# (Start at step #5 when rebuilding after a new kernel update, as this will get the latest version of the source from the repo)

5. git pull     

6. make

7. sudo make install 

8. service vmware start

9. Start up your player/workstation and start your vm....

Enjoy....   Please note you can also replace your VMMon source code that ships with Vmware (see the install file in the source code).  However, I found it was much simpler and easier to just always switch to the checked out source code when vmware fails to start, and just do a git pull and make, sudo make install rather than try and let vmware try and handle it and fail every couple of kernel updates...

0 Kudos
allofmybrain
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thank you for your help, but after Point 8 service vmware start I get the failure:
Job for vmware.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status vmware.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

In Details is: Failed to start LSB: This service starts and stops VMware services.

I googled for some other tips off the failure. One of them said he reinstall the vmware workstation and after that, the workstation starts vms, why, he don't know. I test it, but my VMs don't run.

Do you have any tip?

Thanks and BR, Thomas

PS:
I'm going crazy with Linux. Why does it all have to be so complicated? I was very happy to have discovered Zorin OS, which seems to make the switch from Windows to Linux easy for me, but again it's the details that I fail. As was the case many years ago, Linux simply will not be suitable for everyday use.

0 Kudos
Nathanaela
Contributor
Contributor

You might need to look in your /var/log/   at the kern.log, syslog and dmesg log files if journalctl -xe doesn't give you enough information, about what specifically is failing.      I've never had any issues on PopOS 22.04 (which is basically Ubuntu 22.04 with some extra things).   

I'm not sure if the vmware service will log anything anywhere else, but obviously something isn't starting right...

I assume the "make" and "sudo make install" both worked fine, no errors?

0 Kudos
allofmybrain
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know what I do, but this Steps I do:

Fresh installation of ZorinOS, update all packages, install vmware Workstation 16.2.4 (don't start it), install build-essentials, install git.
Then:
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:~/Downloads$ cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source$ sudo git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
Cloning into 'vmware-host-modules'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 4029, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1207/1207), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (313/313), done.
remote: Total 4029 (delta 1000), reused 1013 (delta 893), pack-reused 2822
Receiving objects: 100% (4029/4029), 1.88 MiB | 2.23 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2912/2912), done.
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source$ cd vmware-host-modules
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo git checkout workstation-16.2.4
Branch 'workstation-16.2.4' set up to track remote branch 'workstation-16.2.4' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'workstation-16.2.4'
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo git pull
Already up to date.
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo make
make -C vmmon-only
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
Using kernel build system.
make -C /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/build/include/.. M=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.14.0-1054-oem'
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/memtrack.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/apic.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/statVarsVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/vmx86.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/sharedAreaVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/cpuid.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/task.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/moduleloop.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/crosspage.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/comport.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/phystrack.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/monLoaderVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/monLoader.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/vmmblob.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/bootstrap.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.o
MODPOST /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/Module.symvers
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.ko
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.14.0-1054-oem'
make -C $PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
MODULEBUILDDIR= postbuild
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
make[2]: 'postbuild' is up to date.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
cp -f vmmon.ko ./../vmmon.o
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
make -C vmnet-only
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/driver.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/hub.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/userif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/netif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/bridge.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/procfs.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/smac.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vnetEvent.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vnetUserListener.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
MODPOST /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/Module.symvers
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo make install
install -D -t /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc vmmon-only/vmmon.ko vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
strip --strip-debug /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc/vmmon.ko /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc/vmnet.ko
if test -z ""; then /sbin/depmod -a 5.14.0-1054-oem; fi
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo service vmware start
Job for vmware.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ systemctl status vmware.service
● vmware.service - LSB: This service starts and stops VMware services
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/vmware; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-11-10 17:47:52 CET; 2min>
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 12102 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/vmware start (code=exited, status=1/FA>
Tasks: 0 (limit: 37879)
Memory: 28.0K
CGroup: /system.slice/vmware.service

Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: This service sta>
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: Starting VMware services:
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: [37B blob data]
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: [52B blob data]
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: [53B blob data]
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: [30B blob data]
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[12102]: [41B blob data]
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: vmware.service: Control proces>
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: vmware.service: Failed with re>
Nov 10 17:47:52 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: This serv>

thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ journalctl -xe
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- A start job for unit NetworkManager-dispatcher.service has begun execution.
--
-- The job identifier is 2511.
Nov 10 17:51:41 thomas-Latitude-5420 dbus-daemon[729]: [system] Activating via >
Nov 10 17:51:41 thomas-Latitude-5420 dbus-daemon[729]: [system] Successfully ac>
Nov 10 17:51:41 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: Started Network Manager Script>
-- Subject: A start job for unit NetworkManager-dispatcher.service has finished>
--
-- A start job for unit NetworkManager-dispatcher.service has finished successf>
--
-- The job identifier is 2511.
Nov 10 17:51:44 thomas-Latitude-5420 NetworkManager[732]: <info> [1668099104.0>
Nov 10 17:51:53 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: NetworkManager-dispatcher.serv>
-- Subject: Unit succeeded
--
-- The unit NetworkManager-dispatcher.service has successfully entered the 'dea>

I don't know where I must search for the failure, I'm a rookie in Linux. I need my Mouse and Desktop Apps and not a terminal window. 🙂 😉

Are you any other tipps? I think I test now PopOS. 😐

Thomas

0 Kudos
allofmybrain
Contributor
Contributor

This are my steps:

Clean Installation of Zorin OS, update all packages, install VMW Workstation (don't start it), install build-essential, install git.
Then:
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:~/Downloads$ cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source$ sudo git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules
Cloning into 'vmware-host-modules'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 4029, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1207/1207), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (313/313), done.
remote: Total 4029 (delta 1000), reused 1013 (delta 893), pack-reused 2822
Receiving objects: 100% (4029/4029), 1.88 MiB | 2.23 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2912/2912), done.
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source$ cd vmware-host-modules
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo git checkout workstation-16.2.4
Branch 'workstation-16.2.4' set up to track remote branch 'workstation-16.2.4' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'workstation-16.2.4'
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo git pull
Already up to date.
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo make
make -C vmmon-only
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/memtrack.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/apic.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/statVarsVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/vmx86.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/sharedAreaVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/cpuid.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/task.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/moduleloop.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/crosspage.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/comport.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/common/phystrack.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/monLoaderVmmon.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/monLoader.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/vmmblob.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/bootstrap/bootstrap.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.o
MODPOST /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/Module.symvers
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only/vmmon.ko
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
cp -f vmmon.ko ./../vmmon.o
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmmon-only'
make -C vmnet-only
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/driver.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/hub.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/userif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/netif.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/bridge.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/procfs.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/smac.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vnetEvent.o
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vnetUserListener.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
MODPOST /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/Module.symvers
CC [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules/vmnet-only'
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo make install
install -D -t /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc vmmon-only/vmmon.ko vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
strip --strip-debug /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc/vmmon.ko /lib/modules/5.14.0-1054-oem/misc/vmnet.ko
if test -z ""; then /sbin/depmod -a 5.14.0-1054-oem; fi
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$ sudo service vmware start
thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware-host-modules$  

thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:~$ systemctl status vmware.service
● vmware.service - LSB: This service starts and stops VMware services
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/vmware; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-11-10 19:08:48 CET; 5min>
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 1645 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/vmware start (code=exited, status=1/FAI>
Tasks: 1 (limit: 37879)
Memory: 3.1M
CGroup: /system.slice/vmware.service
└─1762 /usr/sbin/vmware-authdlauncher

Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: This service sta>
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: Starting VMware services:
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: [37B blob data]
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: [52B blob data]
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: [53B blob data]
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: [30B blob data]
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 vmware[1645]: [41B blob data]
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: vmware.service: Control proces>
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: vmware.service: Failed with re>
Nov 10 19:08:48 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: This serv>

thomas@thomas-Latitude-5420:~$ journalctl -xe
Nov 10 19:14:26 thomas-Latitude-5420 dbus-daemon[1361]: [session uid=1000 pid=1>
Nov 10 19:14:26 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1342]: Started GNOME Terminal Serv>
-- Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully
--
-- A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully.
--
-- The job identifier is 527.
Nov 10 19:14:26 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1342]: Started VTE child process 4>
-- Subject: A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully
--
-- A start job for unit UNIT has finished successfully.
--
-- The job identifier is 546.
Nov 10 19:14:26 thomas-Latitude-5420 systemd[1342]: gnome-launched-org.gnome.Te>
-- Subject: Unit succeeded
--
-- The unit UNIT has successfully entered the 'dead' state.

I don't know what runs wrong. I'm a rookie in linux. 😐

Any tips?

0 Kudos
allofmybrain
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Nathanaela,

now I test PopOs and it runs!!! I'm going crazy with Linux!

Thanks, Thomas

0 Kudos