VMware Communities
MikeOh1
Contributor
Contributor

Player 16.1 not showing Virtual Machines

My host is running Ubuntu 20.04 (5.8.0-38-generic), and VM Player 16.1 (version: 16.1.0 build-17198959)

The Player window (the one with Create, Open, Upgrade, Help in the right part of the window) does not show the virtual machines in the left part of the window. I select "open", navigate to the virtual machine directory with the *.vmx file, select it and click open. The virtual machine does not appear in the left part of the screen. Also `$ sudo vmplayer` with the same steps doesn't work, as in, the virtual machine doesn't show in the left part of the player window.

The work around has been to simply go to the directory of the virtual machine, double click the *.vmx file and Player then works fine. I have had this issue since installing 16.0, and was hoping some update would fix it.  Could you please let me know what I can modify to fix this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
crazyastronaut
Contributor
Contributor

I just completed a new install of 20.04 and am having the same issues. I have tried to uninstall reinstall along with installing older versions with no success. Have you had any success moving forward? I am trying to create new VMs and have been unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
dreds71
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same problem.

My Host is LinuxMint 20.1.

In my case:

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware restart
Stopping VMware services:                           

VMware Authentication Daemon done 

Virtual machine monitor done
Starting VMware services:

Virtual machine monitor done
                                         Virtual machine communication interface done
                                        VM communication interface socket family done
                                        Virtual ethernet done
                                        VMware Authentication Daemon done
                                          Shared Memory Available done

I''ve created 2 devices, one for Ethernet one for Wireless. In Bridged mode.

But it doesn't work.

I 'm able to use network on Guest only if I remove any device from Virtual NetWork Editor, and I add again; but after a power off I loose any functionality.

0 Kudos
dreds71
Contributor
Contributor

I probably found a workaround.

First I run : sudo modprobe vmnet && sudo vmware-networks --start

After I configured both device like below.

Now It works with wireless. I restarted the virtual machine and also the host. It seems to work.

I hope could help someone else..

dreds71_0-1612557017081.png

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I will give this a go, since nobody else has answered - not sure how helpful this answer is.

But first -  Not able to create VMs OR not able to use Bridged Mode for Wireless are NOT same problems. These will lead into very confusing read to anybody else. I would suggest that the original posters delete these messages and possibly open up a new question, if relevant. There are answers to both of these.

Secondly, I have the same VMware build and Ubuntu 20.04.1 / 20.10. I expect both to behave the same way.

With VM Player the behavior (that I see) is this:

- when opening the next time, previously used VMs are visible

- if I log out, they will still be there

- if I reboot the computer the list will disappear

- however, this might not be  because of VMware. My additional disks on my workstation are NOT mounted by default when starting Ubuntu. Thus, VMware cannot find them. If I do mount them, VMware will show the list again.

Obviously, this nuisance does not prevent using VMware. If you are seeing something else, perhaps you have a permission problem of some kind - sorry, I tried to find a file, where this is stored, but couldn't easily find it. You may have a permission problem, because of using several Ubuntu users for VMware or sometimes, using sudo where it shouldn't be used, will cause a permission problem for a regular user.

0 Kudos