VMware Communities
derok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ping computer on local area network

Hi,

i have two pcs:

one with windows xp, vmware player and opensuse 11.3 mounted in it.

the other one with windows 7, vmware workstation, and opensuse 11.3 mounted in it.

both pcs are connected to a switch.

The network on windows works, and i can see files from one pc to another.

Now, when in Opensuse i cannot ping the pcs ips.

i do: ifconfig in one pc:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:29:A5:3B:07 
          inet addr:142.167.18.168  Bcast:142.167.17.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fea5:3b07/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:27841 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:69943 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6495708 (6.1 Mb)  TX bytes:8606274 (8.2 Mb)
          Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:1060 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1060 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:129579 (126.5 Kb)  TX bytes:129579 (126.5 Kb)

i ping to these: inet addr:142.167.18.168  Bcast:142.167.17.255   from  the other pc, but none of those works.

how can i solve this?

thanks...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What IP Subnet is the Host using, is it 142.167.18.0?  If not then the Virtual Machine's Networks are set either to NAT or Host Only and they need to be set to Bridged.  Also if the Host is more then one physical NIC you'll need to turn of Automatic Bridging in the Virtual Network Editor and select the target NIC.

In other words you want the Virtual Machines to be a Peers on the Physical LAN and changing Virtual Machine Network Settings to Bridged will do that.

Also note in addition to using Bridged keep in mind that the Firewalls on both the Host and Guest may need to be configured to allow connectivity between them and if need be temporarily turn off all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
derok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i solved it changing from NAT to Bridged, thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What IP Subnet is the Host using, is it 142.167.18.0?  If not then the Virtual Machine's Networks are set either to NAT or Host Only and they need to be set to Bridged.  Also if the Host is more then one physical NIC you'll need to turn of Automatic Bridging in the Virtual Network Editor and select the target NIC.

In other words you want the Virtual Machines to be a Peers on the Physical LAN and changing Virtual Machine Network Settings to Bridged will do that.

Also note in addition to using Bridged keep in mind that the Firewalls on both the Host and Guest may need to be configured to allow connectivity between them and if need be temporarily turn off all Firewalls, AntiVirus and Security Software on both the Host and the Guest when troubleshooting connectivity issues and re-enable in a logical manner to determine what if any are causing connectivity issues between them.

0 Kudos
derok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

thanks!

0 Kudos