VMware Communities
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

Physical to Virtual getting memory on startup

HI,

I am not very familiar with VM ware and this is my first stab at P to V but it figures I am having issues.  I am trying to virtualize a Windows 7 pc to play on my vmware fusion on my macbook so I can ditch this hunk of pc that I have.  Upon boot I get "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible" and a 0x000... error which is typically a memory error.

I am using vmware worksation v7 and i created 3 different images in converter 3.03.

Any help would be appreciated.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

anyone??

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

keep your copy of converter 3.0.3 in a safe place - you cant download it anymore.
For Windows 7 better try Converter 5.

If that fails again - post more details.
When using Converter 5 configure the job to use LSI-SAS controller - that step is important

0 Kudos
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

at what point in the creation do I select the "LSI-SAS controller".

I tried converting it in converter 5 and it failed.

An error occurred during reconfiguration.

FAILED: Unable to create '\\.\vstor2-mntapi10-shared-16F086E600001003000000000A000000\$Reconfig

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

how far do you get in % ?

did the VM arrive ? - if yes - boot it and report the result

0 Kudos
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

it got to 98% (ughh) and then failed.  I found the lsi sas controller, I'm re-doing the p to v.  I'll report when it's done. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

at 98 % the imaging part is done - if it fails again at that stage do not delete the result - it can be fixed - see
http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

0 Kudos
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

So it failed again.  The link you sent me to fix this is beyond my skills.  I don't have the experience that the link requires you to have to perform some of the items listed.  Is this the only way?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You could just create a new Windows 7 Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion and install the OS normally.  Clean built Virtual Machines usually always run better the P2V and are less problematic in the long run.  Also if the system you're trying to P2V Windows 7 in an OEM version then you're not entitled to move it to another system, physical or virtual, as it's not allowed by its EULA.  Windows OEM versions live and die on the original system installed.

0 Kudos
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I agree I could just do that but I'd like to save the win7 image I have with a few years of programs etc. on it.  Anyone else have any ideas?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Did Windows 7 come pre-installed on your computer?

0 Kudos
upnorthmi
Contributor
Contributor

no, I installed it myself

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, so you have the Install DVD and if you cannot follow the advanced instructions in the link Ulli provided then you can create a new Windows 7 Virtual Machine and install it normally.  Then install what programs you want and then use the Windows 7 Migration Assistant to move your User Data and Settings over.

0 Kudos