VMware Communities
olifer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Physical Disk using VMPlayer?

I just downloaded and installed VM Player on a Windows 7 machine.

I am trying to get it to mount a physical disk that has Windows XP on it but I don't see a setting in VM Player to do this.

Am I missing something or do I need to upgrade to the full version?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Am I missing something

When you add a Hard Disk to the VM you need to select "Use a physical disk (for advanced users)" and note the last part "(for advanced users)"! Smiley Wink

You will also need to at a minimum remove the drive letter for that drive in Windows 7 before it will mount in VMware Player.

or do I need to upgrade to the full version?

VMware Player, whether for Windows or Linux, is a full version of itself it and doesn't come in different type feature versions per se.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Am I missing something

When you add a Hard Disk to the VM you need to select "Use a physical disk (for advanced users)" and note the last part "(for advanced users)"! Smiley Wink

You will also need to at a minimum remove the drive letter for that drive in Windows 7 before it will mount in VMware Player.

or do I need to upgrade to the full version?

VMware Player, whether for Windows or Linux, is a full version of itself it and doesn't come in different type feature versions per se.

0 Kudos
olifer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a bunch Woody.

I wasn't able to see the "advanced user" settting before.

Regards.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wasn't able to see the "advanced user" settting before.

When first creating a Virtual Machine through the Wizard that is not an option and only becomes available when you edit an existing Virtual Machine by adding a new Hard Disk (whether or not the Guest OS is installed yet). Smiley Wink

0 Kudos