VMware Communities
Tech_Worker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oracle 19c RAC and Oracle 19c database on VMware Workstation Player

I'm trying to configure Oracle 19c RAC and Oracle 19c database on VMware Workstation Player

This would be 2 Oracle Linux 7.9 VMs, shared storage between the 2 VMs, and then configure the networking.

Then once RAC and database are installed, I'd like to be able to clone the 2 VMs along with the shared storage and networking, then rename the 2 original VMs, start the 2 cloned VMs, and then have the Oracle cluster and Oracle databases in working order.

Is this possible using the Free version of VMware Workstation Player or perhaps using vSphere Hypervisor?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I’m pretty sure this would work with vSphere as it has shared SCSI buses. I remember doing this a few years ago, but you’d need to do some tweaking to the config. Would not surprise me if there’s a white paper or posts out there on how to do it.  

I don’t think Workstation supports shared initiators that you’ll need to configure virtual hard drives as shared drives needed for RAC.

However, add a VM configured with virtual NAS  software and have it serve up NFS shares or iSCSI disks to your RAC VMs and you should be able to get RAC to work. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I’m pretty sure this would work with vSphere as it has shared SCSI buses. I remember doing this a few years ago, but you’d need to do some tweaking to the config. Would not surprise me if there’s a white paper or posts out there on how to do it.  

I don’t think Workstation supports shared initiators that you’ll need to configure virtual hard drives as shared drives needed for RAC.

However, add a VM configured with virtual NAS  software and have it serve up NFS shares or iSCSI disks to your RAC VMs and you should be able to get RAC to work. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I also have another off the wall thing that will work for RAC, but it’s not free. . I used to work with the Veritas Technologies InfoScale product (some of you old-timers might know it as “Storage Foundation”). It provides clustered shared disks that don’t require a shared storage bus,,NFS or iSCSI. . It also supports RAC and works (yes, I did it). but it’s a bit more complex to set up. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos