VMware Communities
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

Online game has alot of lag with player 4.01 :(

Ok i have a windows xp SP3 vitrual machine fresh install with all updates installed and it runs fine but when i load up phantasy star online blue burst( Witch i got from http://schtserv.com i used to play it when i had a xp only pc and it is very picky with anything above xp) to play online there is a ton of lag and it is very slugish online and makkes it not worth playing online cuz of the lag.would anyone know why there would be so much lag with the online game?The game is not very graphic intensive and came out in 2001.i could see more graphic intensive games causing lag in a virtual environment but dont get why there is so much lag with such a old game.My OS is windows 7 64 bit,8 gigs of ddr3 ram,Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 and Radeon HD 6970.Any help is very much apricated.Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

Is emulating the graphics causing lag?Guess noone knows?

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

your vidoie card wouldn't be an issue... While playing the game in the VM... in the host (Win7) open the performance monitor and keep it open on the CPU usage window and see how much RAM/CPU is available to the Host and also look in the Proccess monitor to see what the VM is actually using.

possible issues rigth off the top of my head

- not enough physical RAM allocation to the VM

- not enough Cores?

- bad network settings or not enough bandwidth on the NIC

Can you give us more detail on the VM settings that you have assigned

Vin

0 Kudos
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

Here are my setting:4 gigs for memory,4 cpu cores,and the network adapter is set to bridged. i tryed the network adapter on nat but seemed to cause even more lag but even on bridged there is still alot of lag.so with these settings i dont know why there is alot of lag.When i played this when i had xp on the same pc i have now before i put windows 7 on it before windows vista and 7 came out i had zero lag with the same hardware in my pc.

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

There's your problem, don't assign more than 50% of cores to a VM. you have a 4 core CPU, set your VM to 2 cores and leave the other 2 to the Host.

because the Host needs CPU power just to manage the VM itself. if you don't leave anything to the host its going to be an uphill battle from the start.

Try that and go from there.

also, next time, run the performance monitor on the host while you are running your VM and from time to time go to your host to see what the usage actually is. with 8GB of physical memory and assigning 4GB, I don't see that being an issue... but if your WinXP is only 32Bit, don't bother assigning more than 3GB. actually that could be another issue. assigning 4GB or more could cause memory swapping which could cause an issue...

So set the processors to 2 and set the memory to 3104MB and try it again.

Vin

0 Kudos
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

ok i will do that and post the results and yes the xp is 32 bit and not 64 bit.

0 Kudos
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

ok well i changed it to have 3.0gb of ram and 2 cores and the problem is still there i even changed it to 1 core same thing.it only seems to have bad lag when i play with people online on it.i played a level with just myself and noone in my party and it didnt seem as laggy.

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

Did you open the performance monitor on the host while using the VM? What is the CPU/memory usage to the host?

Vin

0 Kudos
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

ok the cpu usage fluctuates between 54 and 64% and the amount of memeory that is being used is 4.33gb

0 Kudos
Vinster411
Contributor
Contributor

That not at all looks like it should cause an issue. I'm not sure what else to recommend. maybe someone else familiar with that game chould chime in?

Vin

0 Kudos
ninmario4life
Contributor
Contributor

yeah is there anyone else that could help?could someone please test this out on there vm player with xp?the game is free to play online and all you gatta do is download it and install it and create a free acount on there site :smileygrin:

0 Kudos