VMware Communities
vmj
Contributor
Contributor

On vm startup: Gues system does not start - "The virtual machine is busy"

Hi,

I don't know how long, but since some days I have serious problems starting most of my vm-guest systems. I usually double click the VMX file for starting a vm guest which worked very good the last years.

But now I often run into the problem that the VMWare Player window does show up but does not start the guest. If I try to close the window I get a message dialog saying "The virtual machine is busy". The only way to stop that machine is killing the correspondent vmplayer process.

First I thought that this only happens to guest that had been suspended, but it happens also on guests that had been shut down correctly (empty VMSD file).

Sometime I manage to make the affected vm guest by deleting everything except the VMX and the VMDK file(s).

BTW: If this error happens VMWare Player does not even reach the point where it starts logging into the log file.

System: WinXP 32 & VMWare 2.5.1 build-126130

Has anybody a clue what is going wrong on my system?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mokymura
Expert
Expert

hi,

maybe is still cached by any other vmware process running on the machine, check the taskmanager to see what´s process are running and if that could be the problem

Regards

Si encuentras esta u otras respuesta útiles, por favor considera el asignar puntos seleccionando la respuesta como útil o correcta If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.
0 Kudos
vmj
Contributor
Contributor

All other guest vm instances are closed/terminated. Only the four default vmware processes (vmnat, vmnetdhcp, vmount2 and vmware-authd) are running.

0 Kudos
vmj
Contributor
Contributor

It just happened again. I tried everything - restarted all VMWare services but the problem remains. It looks like one of the lower level components (driver?) may be the cause.

May be some part of VMWare player has some problems with standby/hibernate as I never shut down my system and use only STR/STD among weeks.

Before VMWarePlayer 2.5.1 I never had any VMWare related problems by this...

0 Kudos
chifu
Contributor
Contributor

hi

I'm facing the same issue

has anynone found the origin of the problem?

0 Kudos
lukeplant
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem -- all my VMs are dead, after upgrading to vmplayer 3.0.0 with Ubuntu Karmic I was using vmplayer 2.5.1 and Ubuntu Jaunty before. I now receive the message "The virtual machine is busy" as soon as I open the VM, and it does nothing other than show a black screen.

0 Kudos
ItsGalaxy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all... good to see a thread on this issue. I have the same problem. please let me know if you guys finds any possible solutions ..

0 Kudos
chifu
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled the Win Xp with basic applications and it's running now

I don't know what the problem was

I could install the VM 3.0 version

0 Kudos
andrew204
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me recently on a Linux host and WinXP guest. The problem was, I had recently changed my login userid on the host, but had not changed the launch script for vmware. This resulted in vmware-player trying to run the virtual machine from a nonexistent home directory. I got the message "virtual machine is busy" every time I tried to run it. I am not sure if that is the cause of your problem or not.

0 Kudos
eithhor
Contributor
Contributor

hi guys,

similiar problem on linux. When i try vmplayer on CLI i get this:

VMware Player Error:
VMware Player is installed, but it is not configured correctly for the running kernel. To reconfigure it, the system administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl". For more information, see the VMware Player documentation.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0 Kudos
eithhor
Contributor
Contributor

removing this file repair the problem for me:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/249530

0 Kudos