VMware Communities
null1fy
Contributor
Contributor

On WinXP - Cannot un-install vmware and more

I installed vmware, autostreamer and updated my windows service pack 2 respectively. When I started having an issue when i would install a program but the installer would crash without an error I wanted to test if removing vmware was the problem. vmware wouldn't let me un-install the program saying that windows installer couldn't be found, so then i went to remove autostreamer to try the same thing with no success. I booted into safe mode, tried to uninstall each program again (unsuccessfully).

I also cannot system restore past today.

How can I get out of this f'd up mess?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You need to have the MS installer on your Windows PC to install or uninstall Windows programs.

You get the Windows installer program here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displa...

Put it back on your Windows PC

0 Kudos
null1fy
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I apologize for not being clear. I installed vmware, autostreamer and updated SP2 on my windows PC. Then, I installed XP on my virtual drive. I downloaded Nero so that I would be able to use a function for Autostreamer. When I tried installing Nero I discovered the problem that I had with the unexpected installation crashes.

Frustrated, I removed my XP installation in vmware and then being unable to install VMware I deleted every directory vmware was in, in safe mode.

I had the same exact thought as you - re-install windows installer on my windows pc. Well, in my add or remove programs list it still shows it is there ( as well as a non-functional vmware ). On attempt to reinstall windows installer it crashes without error the same as any other application installer.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

On attempt to reinstall windows installer it crashes without error the same as any other application installer.

It's sound like your host OS is corrupted and you may be able to boot from your Windows CD and try the repair option.

Typically if it was just VMware that failed to uninstall and your Windows installer (msiexec.exe) was still functional. You could uninstall VMware from the command line using the /c option.

Example:

VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.exe /c

0 Kudos
null1fy
Contributor
Contributor

I did a system restore as far back as I could (prior to deleting the vmware directory) and you were correct - it was only Vmware that was having errors when uninstalling. I tried using the command prompt like you suggested, however it didn't work. I also removed it from my programs list under add/remove programs and after it completed uninstalling it gave the message "windows installer failed to work" or something along those lines.

It disappeared from the program group but it left a ton of folders and files all throughout my F: and G: directory, as well as in my WINDOWS folder in F: . When using installer applications they will still automatically close after a period of time.

When attempting to re-install VMware workstation 6.0.0-45731 it says that it is still currently installed.

0 Kudos