VMware Communities
AnnainOK
Contributor
Contributor

Old DOS HD to transfer to VM--best method

While I'm a fairly experienced user, I'm new to virtual machines, but found VMPlayer easy to install, etc. Thanks for the product!

Here's my problem:

My friend has an old 386 running DOS, along with Windows Workgroups, and  proprietary accounting software from a now-defunct company. She doesn't want to change her accounting system if she can help it, but the HD is running on borrowed time and she'd like to reduce the number of computers on her desk.

I need to find the safest (for the original HD) way to copy this HD and get the whole thing up and running in VMPlayer. I don't normally deal with this type of stuff, and I've gone cross-eyed trying to ferret out the information for myself. I'm hoping someone for whom this is a walk-in-the-park will take pity upon me.

The original HD is a 340 MB Connor. I want to put VMPlayer on her XP Home computer, but she has a Windows 7 computer as well. I want to:

A   Safely copy the original HD. Thinking a daisy-chained comparable HD and xcopy /s C: 😧 creating HD2

B. Use HD2 to either install in the box, external enclosure, or image and then run on VMPlayer. (the latter would be my preference, if feasible.)

I have a copy of Norton Ghost 10 (from SystemWorks 2004) and Ghost 14.0, or I can download an Easeus product if it's compatible. I can't afford to spend a lot of money on this project, just trying to keep an older friend from pulling her hair out trying to learn a different accounting system and losing access to 12 years of data.

Thanks for your time!

Anna

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Check your Private Messages.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Anna,

Was nice talking with you on this issue and let me know if you have any other questions.

Woody

0 Kudos
AnnainOK
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos