VMware Communities
kenwey
Contributor
Contributor

Num Lock Light Off When Pointing Back to Host

Hi all,

The num lock light is initially on and working normally in host. When the mouse is clicking on VMware Player (Guest), the light is still on, but the light is turned off when the mouse is pointing back to host, the number pad is still working even though the light is off. However after some time, the number pad is not working anymore. Anybody has a solution for this? Thanks.

Version: VMWare Player 4.0.4

Host: CentOS 6.2 64-bit

Guest: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit

6 Replies
kenwey
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody is having this problem?

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this problem, and it appears not always but time to time, I don't think this is problem to wary about, that is why no one gives attention 🙂 .

VM or Not to VM...?

That is the question!

0 Kudos
f15x281
Contributor
Contributor

I have had this problem for years exactly as described in the original post. The problem is not the NumLock typing behavior, it is the NumLock light/LED in the keyboard. I am using Workstation 10 on Linux Mint, with Windows 7 and Debian as guests. A solution would be nice...

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have got this problem. Every time need to press numlock while change to guest os.

0 Kudos
vbrozik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This annoying bug is still there. I am using:

VMware Workstation Pro 12.0.1

host OS: Ubuntu 14.04.3

I like to have NumLock on so I configured both the Ubuntu host and my virtual machines to have NumLock on. This is working correctly but every time I move the focus from a virtual machine the NumLock is still on as expected but the indicator LED goes off. Inside a VM the indicator mostly works. As a workaround on the host I can double tap NumLock to sync the NumLock state and the LED but whenever I defocus a VM the LED goes off again.

0 Kudos
IvanCarlos
Contributor
Contributor

If you are using legacy BIOS firmware for you VM you can set the power on NumLock state as follows:

From the Menu Bar select VM > Power > Power On to Firmware. The go to Keyboard Features > NumLock.

If you are using EFI firmware for your VM then there is no option to set the power on NumLock state. Also, some Linux distris can ignore this setting after bootup

IT & Cyber Security consultant
ivan@ivancarlos.com.br
0 Kudos