VMware Communities
jdub123444444
Contributor
Contributor

Not solved: VMware Workstation does not support nested virtualization on this host.

I have the latest version of VMware player (free). I have an OVA that requires VT-x/EPT and am running into this exact issue:

VMware Workstation does not support nested virtualization on this host.

I have a clean, updated version of Windows 10. I'm using the latest version of Player, Hyper-V is disabled. I see a number of people aren't having any luck on workarounds. Any updates?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please provide some information about your hardware.

Create a VM (e.g. a virtual ESXi host) and enable "Enable VT-x/EPT ..:" on the virtual CPU, then start the VM, and if you see the same error, attach the VM's vmware.log file to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
jdub123444444
Contributor
Contributor

CPU specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz

Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel

Microcode signature: 000000D6

HYPERVISOR      *       Hypervisor is present

VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization

EPT             -       Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

URG             -       Supports Intel unrestricted guest

vmware log attached. Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the log file, Virtualization Technology (VT-x) does not seem to be enabled in your host's BIOS.

André

0 Kudos
jdub123444444
Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot of bios setting attached.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

2020-08-09T12:39:13.120-04:00| vmx| I005: Common: MSR   0x3a =              0

Unfortunately it's not detected as enabled. Can you confirm that - after enabling it in the BIOS - that you did a complete power cycle of the host, i.e. complete power off/power on?

What does CPU-Z​ report?

André

0 Kudos
jdub123444444
Contributor
Contributor

-With virtualization disabled in the bios, cpu-id Instructions shows VT-x. When I try to run the VM, Player errors out saying it needs VT-x. Task manager shows virtualization disabled.

-With virtualization enabled in the bios, cpu-id Instructions does not show VT-x. When I try to run the VM, Player gives my original error. Task manager shows virtualization enabled.

Latest BIOS and firmware. I'm officially confused. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jdub123444444
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me which line of the log shows that VT-x is not enabled?

0 Kudos
migs008
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also experiencing the same issue. I've also included my vmware log as well. I've seen previous thread and have only been able to run my ESXi VM by disabling Hyper-V. Any help on this would be appreciated.

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS Version:                10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~4001 Mhz

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please run msinfo32.exe to see what it reports for the different "Hyper-V" settings in the system overview screen.

André

0 Kudos
migs008
Contributor
Contributor

I've attached screenshots of msinfo.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The System Summary screen shot doesn't show the Hyper-V settings. Please scroll down on the right side for these settings.

Btw. you can insert images directly into the reply, no need to add them as an attachment.

André

0 Kudos
new_alexy
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are faced with the fact that Vmvare Workstation (and the Player) does not support nested virtualization on Windows hosts with Hoper-V support enabled. This situation occurs on Windows 10 2004 and later. Although Vmvare declares that Hoper-V and Workstation can work together, this is not true in terms of nested virtualization. The only solution to use nested virtualization is to disable the Hyper-V boot. See details in the discussion in thread - VMware Workstation does not support nested virtualization on this host.

0 Kudos
ashkanfarzin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dude.

well I had the same problem and my Virtualization Technology in my bios setting was the VT-x so I disabled it.and also I turned the hyper-v & virtual machine platform & windows hypervisor platform and after restarting my pc the problem was solved.

I hope this could be useful for you bro!

0 Kudos