VMware Communities
Samsicle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not enough disk space

Hi all,

So heres the situation. I have a computer that came pre-installed with windows 7 but is now dual booting with ubuntu 11.04. When I installed ubuntu I made the windows partition as small as possible (about 40 GB used and 30 GB free) because I would like to use ubuntu as my main OS. I don't have an installation cd for windows 7 so I thought vmware converter should work to make a virtual copy of my existing setup. During the conversion process it appears to me that I need to select a location for a file (multiple files?) 40 GB (minimum) but there just isn't that much space on my windows partition and vcenter converter says the location is not big enough. Can I set my location as an external hard drive then move those files from the external hard drive to my ubuntu partition? Is this as simple as moving the files? I feel if I could make or get a boot disk for windows to use with my product key this would simplify things a lot.

Also on a side note if successful, I've read that this will cause an issue with microsoft because I'm using two copies of windows 7 with one product key. Can I transfer my product key (the sticker on the bottom of the laptop) if I remove the original copy of windows? I'm a little worried that I will end up with no windows OS at all as I dont have an installation disk.

Any help would be awesome, thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I set my location as an external hard drive then move those files from the external hard drive to my ubuntu partition? Is this as simple as moving the files?

Yes

Also on a side note if successful, I've read that this will cause an issue with microsoft because I'm using two copies of windows 7 with one product key. Can I transfer my product key (the sticker on the bottom of the laptop) if I remove the original copy of windows? I'm a little worried that I will end up with no windows OS at all as I dont have an installation disk.

OEM version of Windows are not transferable and you will run into WPA issues doing what you're attempting to do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I set my location as an external hard drive then move those files from the external hard drive to my ubuntu partition? Is this as simple as moving the files?

Yes

OEM version of Windows are not transferable and you will run into WPA issues doing what you're attempting to do.

0 Kudos
Samsicle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks WoodyZ,

Though the answer is a little disappointing

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Woody could you please comment. I haven't read through the Windows EULA in a while and don't want to again but since this Windows 7 install isn't moving from it's original hardware would it not still comply assuming the original was removed??

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I said I didn't want to but I did.

This is from the Windows 7 Professional OEM EULA.

Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content.

So as long as you only have one install and assuming it were Windows 7 Professional you would be OK to P2V your install to the machine it was originally installed on.

If your copy is not Win 7 Professional then consult the EULA that came with your copy or consult

http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

The terms for Home Basic etc can be different.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Microsoft changed the virtualization restrictions with Windows 7 Home Premium and it too can be installed in a Virtual Machine however regardless of version this assumes the original install is made to the Virtual Machine not first to physical hard drive natively and them moved to a Virtual Machine.  I'm not going to say you can't do it or it can be done however it will flag WPA and with OEM versions it can be difficult to get it reactivated and I have read plenty of posts where Microsoft refused to reactivate it and the End User had to buy a new license and received a new product key if they wanted to continue to use it outside of the context of the original install.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Woody.

@Samsicle

Many OEM disks even refuse to install to anything other than the manufacturers hardware but I would see if it is possible to obtain the install or restore disk from the pc manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Samsicle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input guys.

Im getting the impression that I shouldn't be attempting this. My opinion is that it's one copy of windows running on the OEM hardware so why shouldn't it be legit? But I think I would rather stick with the dual boot than on the phone with microsoft trying to explain this. There are a few threads on getting an OEM copy of windows on a virtual machine and most don't end too well or seem all that legal.

0 Kudos