VMware Communities
roghan83
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to connect to Internet (Intranet yes)

I have installed VMware Player 5.0.0 build-812388 on my work desktop with Windows 7. Then, I have created a Linux VM (Fedora 17). The issue is that I'm not able to connect my VM to Internet but only to Intranet (my company internal site), and I can ping successfully default gateway.

1. I have configured the virtual network adapter both with NAT and Bridge, but the result is the same.
  2. On Linux VM I have cloned the MAC address of physical network adapter, with the same result.

Maybe the network configuration of my company (switch, firewall, ...) blockes the traffic that isn't originating strictly from physical machine (windows 7)?

Many thanks!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there any proxy server or firewall that block your guest Ip address?

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos
roghan83
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, there is a proxy that blocks connections to several sites, and it is probably that this proxy (and maybe firewall) blocks my guest IP address. What can I do? Should I clone IP and MAC address of phy machine into the VM?

0 Kudos
roghan83
Contributor
Contributor

I found the issue Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy! I learned that my company network uses a proxy for connections to Internet. Hence, I have configured the http, https, and ftp proxy on the Linux VM and the Internet connection works now! I have configured the proxy via shell (for packages manager), via browser, and in all other applications.

Bye!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

roghan83 wrote: Should I clone IP and MAC address of phy machine into the VM?

I know you already resolved the issue however wanted to comment on this question you asked.  The answer is no because it would cause more problems then you already had as you should never have two NIC's with the same MAC Address and or IP Address on the same IP Subnet for it will surly cause communications issues, in of an by itself. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos