VMware Communities
smc0862ire
Contributor
Contributor

Non-persistent image gone bad.

Hi,

I use VMWare Player to run build VMs within my build environment.  I created several build VMs over a year ago and they have been working fine.  Each one of these build VMs has been manually set to non-persistent so that nothing is saved when the build shut down the OS and the next build will be done in a clean state the next time the VM is powered up.

Well now one of the VMs is not starting up.  It goes through the initial boot up, gets to the usual 'Windows XP Starting' screen, this goes away and I get to the desktop but nothing shows up on the screen.  No icons, no Start bar. Nothing...

The VMWare task bar that shows the disk, CD, Floppy icons, shows the disk having little to no activity (i.e. the green dot is not flashing)

If I try doing a Power-Reset, the OS may fully start, but usually does not.

Of course this would have to be the more complex of the build VMs containing a whole bunch of different development tools installed, so I'd really like to be able to save/fix this one instead of having to rebuild it from scratch.

I was hoping that being non-persistent these images would never run into problems like this as they always get reset on shutdown.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Has anyone else ever experience issue like this.

The VMs were created with Version 3.  I just upgraded to Version 4 yesterday to see if that would help, but it did not.

Cheers,

-Shawn

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tetrapackage
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me anything you did before these things gone wrong? You might have done something that made the images go nasty.

0 Kudos
smc0862ire
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Over the weekend we changed our mail server, so I needed to modify the build scripts in each of the VMs to change the IP addess of the mail server used to send out email to our developers.  To do this, or any other change to these images I follow the same procedure.

1.) I edit the .vmx file in notepad to comment out the line:  ide1:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

2.) I start up the VM image

3.) Make my changes to the build environment

4.) Shut down the VM by doing normal Windows XP Shutdown

5.) Edit .vmx file in notepad to uncomment the line:   ide1:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"

The other 2 VMs I modified on Monday using this process still work fine.

0 Kudos