VMware Communities
goodsamaritan55
Contributor
Contributor

No internet when using 3G/HSDPA USB Modem

Hi,

I just got a brand new ASUS EEEPC 900, Windows XP version.

I installed the latest VMPLayer for windows xp and I run 2 linux distros: Damn Small Linux and Xubuntu 8.04

When I use the WIFI - My linuxes under Windows XP have internet connectivity

When I use LAN connection - My linuxes under Windows XP have internet connectivity

But when I use the ZTE MF622 USB Cellular Broadband Modem 3G/HSDPA - My linuxes do not have internet connectivity

My question is:

How can I make my linuxes running under VMWare Player under Windows XP have internet connectivity with the USB Cellular Modem?

What I am using is Smart Bro Anywhere http://smart.com.ph/smartbro/

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If your host sees this device as a modem, and not an Ethernet/Network adapter, then most likely you cannot. VMware networking uses Ethernet adapters only - all the drivers and services attach to the NICs.

0 Kudos
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setup a small VM and connect the modem to it, then use the vm's netcard to serve internet to the other VM's Smiley Happy

Actually, this is not a bad way to go. We have a policy of never allowing our host to directly connect to a WAN. We use the "proxy VM" to do virus scannig for all WAN traffic for the other VM's, meaning we really dont need anti-virus software.

Another good solution is to get a pocket sized router that works for your aircard Smiley Happy

Joe

0 Kudos