VMware Communities
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

No internet though ethernet even though I'm connected

Howdy.

About two weeks ago, my internet to windows 10 stopped working. I use Ubuntu 20.04 and have Windows 10 running through my Vmware 16 player. I've tried connecting NAT, Bridge, and Host with Vmware with no luck. I've even flushed the Windows system with no luck. Any suggestions?

I'm using ethernet, not wifi.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread to the area for Workstation Player, now that I've reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Details would be useful - ping from host to VM for example.
Ifconfig from your host, ipconfig from the guest.
Right now the problem summary is:
Unspecified vmnet results in Windows 10 VM not reaching the inet.

Thats not enough ... we dont even know if your VM has an active ethernet card ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

Options: -t Ping the specified host until stopped. To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break; To stop - type Control-C. -a Resolve addresses to hostnames. -n count Number of echo requests to send. -l size Send buffer size. -f Set Don't Fragment flag in packet (IPv4-only). -i TTL Time To Live. -v TOS Type Of Service (IPv4-only. This setting has been deprecated and has no effect on the type of service field in the IP Header). -r count Record route for count hops (IPv4-only). -s count Timestamp for count hops (IPv4-only). -j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only). -k host-list Strict source route along host-list (IPv4-only). -w timeout Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply. -R Use routing header to test reverse route also (IPv6-only). Per RFC 5095 the use of this routing header has been deprecated. Some systems may drop echo requests if this header is used. -S srcaddr Source address to use. -c compartment Routing compartment identifier. -p Ping a Hyper-V Network Virtualization provider address. -4 Force using IPv4. -6 Force using IPv6.

0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), 
It does not get any better - perfect !

0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm glad that part is good. But what could be causing windows 10 not to have internet? My ubuntu is doing fine and my tinyxp also has net. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Give me anything to work with - I still only have "doesn't work".
And please - I dont need parts of the man page for ping ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

That's all I got. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - then lets categorize this as voodoo effect caused by un unspecified entity .... good luck.

Ulli

0 Kudos
CR_777
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, Voodoo sounds good.

I am not a computer expert, so I am here seeking help. So here is the issue. I use Ubuntu 20.04 and a VMware 16 player to run Windows 10, which had an internet connection until March 31. I'm curious if anyone else has run into such a problem, and if so, what steps did you take to solve it? That is all.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I promise that this will be my last attempt ....
We need your last vmware.logs, a screenshot of your virtual network settings, ifconfig from the host, ipconfig from the guest.

If you want more guesses and are not willing to provide the details we asked for - here is another guess:
Maybe it is even a Marderschaden - see
MarderschadenMarderschaden

0 Kudos