VMware Communities
benord
Contributor
Contributor

No folder "hgfs" in "mnt", WindowsXP (host)/Fedora18(guest)

Hello,

Another issue I didn't succeed to solve (even by doing research on Google this time :smileygrin:):

I'm trying to share a folder between Windows XP (Host) and Fedora 18 (Guest). I'm using VMWare Player 5.0.2 build-1031769 and I properly installed the right version of VMWare Tools.

I even tried to reinstall it three times and followed all the recommended steps here, but it still doesn't work: There is no folder "hgfs" created in the folder "mnt". There is no error messages when I enable the option and add a new shared folder in the Virtual Machine Settings.

For now, I'm using a USB flash drive to make my transfert, but it'd prefer a proper shared folder on my HDD...

Could you please help me again?

Thank a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since I have a Mac I have no real need to use Fedora however I did install Fedora 18 using the same directions you did and while Fedora 18 is on the supported OS list for VMware Workstation 9 which includes VMware Player 5 nonetheless it quite obvious VMware Tools do not function properly by default!  Additionally I tried a few things including some patches that are out there and while the patches corrected some issues they either didn't address all of the issues or they created new issues.  I can't say for sure which and I have absolutely no desire or interest in debugging since one can use Industry Standard SMB/CIFS Shares instead.  I had no problem going Files > Browse Network > ComputerName > ShareName to access files on the Host from the Guest.  This of course requires one to setup a shared folder under the Host OS, not in the VM's settings, and make sure the Host and Guest Firewalls are not blocking communications.

0 Kudos