VMware Communities
TehJuggernaut
Contributor
Contributor

No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected.

My opterating system: Windows XP home SP2

RAM: 480mb

CPU: 1.8 GHz

HD Space: 39gig (22gigs free)

My friend directed me to:

http://www.easyvmx.com/supersimple.shtml

to get the basic stuff I need to start off running 2 versions of windows at once.

I left the hd space and memory default. I selected windows ME. I opened the file it generated for me up in the player and I inserted the ME install disc into my cd rom drive (D:\), and I press f2 and edited the boot settings for the CD rom drive to be booted first.

It returned this message to me:

"No bootable CD, floppy or hard disk was detected.

To install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and restart the virtual machine by clicking the Reset button."

I have no clue what to do to make it allow me to install windows ME. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have more than one optical drive in your computer? Player may be trying to access the wrong CD-ROM drive.

0 Kudos
TehJuggernaut
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what an "Optical" drive but I only have my hard drive, cd-rom, and 3 1/2 floppy hooked up on the computer.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you verified the CD is bootable? When the guest goes to load, does the CD drive light come on as it looks for a CD?

0 Kudos
TehJuggernaut
Contributor
Contributor

When the program is going through the boot sequence, the cd rom is active. The light comes on once and I also hear the CD spinning.

0 Kudos
hozo
Contributor
Contributor

If you enter with F2 in WMWare setup, Cd must be the first boot device, and on WMWare Menu check in Removable Devices the letter of your physical drive is correct with host cd-rom device letter. After it will go. Cheers!

0 Kudos
KYordy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have a bootable floppy with CD drivers on it, put the floppy in the drive and start the VM. The VM should now see the floppy and the CD and you can then run youe ME setup from the DOS prompt, D:\setup or similar.

Good luck!

0 Kudos