VMware Communities
DaveFromDecatur
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie question - need XP disk

I just downloaded and installed VMWare Player on my new Dell running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. When I created my first Windows XP virtual machine, I was asked to supply an XP OS installation disk. Oops! The only XP disk I ever had was an upgrade disk from ME, which would not be any help even if I still had it.

I'm completely new at this, and don't know what to do. Would it be possible, for instance, to use Microsoft's Windows XP Mode to supply the OS? That is, I'd be running XP Mode in VMWare Player instead of in Windows Virtual PC (as I understand things). Would that work?

Thanks for anyone's help, and your patience with such a basic question.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You must to supply the installation disks in order to install any OS on a VM. You can also use a ISO image.

Try to get a copy of the OS you want to install.

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I just downloaded and installed VMWare Player on my new Dell running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit....Would it be possible, for instance, to use Microsoft's Windows XP Mode to supply the OS? That is, I'd be running XP Mode in VMWare Player instead of in Windows Virtual PC (as I understand things). Would that work?

You can import the XP-Mode virtual machine into VMware Player. I think Windows XP may have a reactivation issue due to it detecting the new virtual hardware. You may be able to run the unactivated Windows for a few days as a trial. But otherwise, as previously stated, you must supply the OS installation disks when you create new virtual machines from scratch.

DaveFromDecatur
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Astoran and Patricio. It's a really obvious point, and I should have seen that this would be necessary. I'd been on an e-mail list for a particular piece of software that needs a VM to run under Win7 64-bit, and everyone talked about their success with VMWare and other software, but no one mentioned this requirement! I'm going to try setting up Windows XP Mode and then importing it. I've seen other threads that suggest that calling Microsoft's activation number and telling my story can actually get it re-activated.

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Welcome to the forums! Since you are 'new' to virtualization, I would suggest that you visit:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

You will find here appliances (pre-built virtual machines) that you can use for testing, learning, production, etc.

Another good free O/S choice is Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com)

A cost effective way to test Microsoft operating systems and applications is the purchase of a Technet subscription:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892756.aspx

This would set you back around $199 (one year) for the Standard subscription (renewals are $149)

best of luck..........Bruce

0 Kudos