VMware Communities
charlessmall18
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie can't extract any WMtools files including the .pl one

I just installed the VMware Player and the latest Ubuntu distribution on my Vista Home Premium 32-bit PC. Works like a charm except for installing VMtool. When I try to install it, I get the vittual CD/DVD ok. And I can find the distribution and the .tar.gz file inside it. And I can drill down and see all the files and folders inside it inlcuding  the perl script that I am suppsed to run to install VMtool but at that point everything comes to a screeching halt. None of the tools I have installed so far will let me extract anything from the compressed file because it says I don't have the right permissions and the thing I found that it looks like it might allow me to change the permissions won't let me. The compressed file is supposedly "read only" so I don't really understand why I can't estract all the files and folder from it. I am already half brain dead from wrestling with permissions in Vista. And now Linux!

HELP!

c h u c k _ p e t i t @ y a h o o . c o m

Signed: The Technomasochist

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Look in the VMware Player Help File for "Install VMware Tools in a Linux Guest" and follow the directions.

0 Kudos
indyodie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried playing with the tar command?  Perhaps you could run tar --help for the full list of options.  Should be looking for something like tar xvf and then running the perl file to install the tools.

PHD Virtual Technologies
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First of all I'm not the one trying to install VMware Tools so why are you replying directly to my reply?

Secondly the directions for installing VMware Tools in a Linux Virtual Machine are documented in the Product Help Files as well as the VMware KB Installing VMware Tools in a Linux virtual machine using a Compiler (1018414) as well as other available documentation readily available at the VMware website, so there is no need to "run tar --help" and the OP just needs to read and follow the documentation, it's that simple!

0 Kudos