VMware Communities
keithruck
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie: best practices for running multiple concurrent VMs? (updated/edited)

I'm setting up a new test box using VMWare Player(s); currently using Vista86 as host because I can't get Vista64 stable. Quad core CPU, 4GB RAM. One IDE (host) and 2 large SATA HDs with several partitions. I'm using easyvmx to establish my machines. I plan to set up approximately 6-7 VMs total, of which I don't ever expect to need to run more than 2-3 concurrently. Since I'm new to this, I have a dumb question:

1. How do I run multiple instances of VMWare player (and therefore multiple VMs) simultaneously? Any tricks or traps to worry about? Since I have a quad core, is there any way to assign each VM to run only on a specific core- Is there a setting to force each instance of VMWare player to use only a specified core?

<Questions 2 & 3 deleted: I found easyVMX2 and learned a little more about what I'm trying to do>

Many thanks in advance for any advice or guidance,

Keith

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, I tend to use shortcuts to the .vmx files of the VMs I want to run and can run multiple VMs using Player quite happily. I too have a quad-core machine but haven't found any (obvious) way to assign a VM to a specific core (although I haven't particularly looked very hard - if you've since found out I would be interested to know).

Pete.

0 Kudos
keithruck
Contributor
Contributor

Pete-

I'm temporarily using the time-limited copy of VMWare workstation - man is it nice! I just wish it weren't so expensive, I'd totally buy it if I could afford it Smiley Sad I haven't been able to detect whether VMware workstation automatically uses multiple cores, specifically, a different core for each VM that is open, but the interface is nice since I often have multiple machines open at the same time.

Once the trial period runs out, I'll be back to using the VMWare player. I haven't tested these yet, but here are two links that show how to assign affinity to a particular core:

Since each instance of VMWare Player should be treated as a separate application, I think it should work. If you get this working, please post back your specific syntax on your shortcut for me and future googlers Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Keith

0 Kudos
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately (fortunately?) my target OS is XP Pro so it looks as though I wouldn't be able to use the /affinity parameter. It looks as though I could assign it using the Task Manager if I needed to (hopefully I won't have to as it would add another level of complexity to something already pretty complex).

I agree with you though that it looks as though it should work on Vista.

Cheers

Pete.

0 Kudos