VMware Communities
dlarsonarts
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie: Uninstall leaves 'Volume_0000' on my disk, Can I remove it?

I'm learning VM Player. I've uninstalled the program from a machine, but there is still an 8GB partition on the hard disk called 'Volume_0000'. Is this left behind, and most importantly, CAN I REMOVE THIS?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMplayer usually does not create files named like this - are you talking about a partition or a file ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
dlarsonarts
Contributor
Contributor

This is a 'volume'; it is listed in the Windows7-Control Panel-Computer Management-Disk Management panel as an "unallocated" sector. It's 8MB in size. Before I un-installed VM Player, I removed the only virtual machine I'd made. I never installed anything on that virtual machine.

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

That sounds unrelated to any software on the host. When you partition the disk, there can be a tiny bit of space at the end that's unusable, because the file system requires that the size be a multiple of some number (usually a power of 2). It may also have been set up by the OEM to hold emergency repair data.

0 Kudos