VMware Communities
meebers
Contributor
Contributor

Newbi starting VMwre - Questions

I am new to virtual disks, trying to get started.

I down loaded the VMware player and was able to install the program without issues.  I have just a few questions before I finish this up.

Host = Win7.  I wanted to install a VM for Linux Mint17 and was able to do this and it ran, but want to actually install this on a local HD. (Not C:)

It is now running off of the LiveDVD and because of that has locked out my DVD Drive.(G:)  I could not find a way to unlock it. 

My Win7 machine boots off of CD/DVD first and therefore when starting up, it runs mint rather than Win7, obviously not what I want.

Questions:

1.I want to run the VM off of data drive (m:) Hard Drive.  i.e.  M:/VMware/Mint17

2. Just to make sure I am doing this correctly, once Mint 17 is up and running in a VM, it says to right click on "Install Mint" with further choices being erase disk and install linux mint. I am assuming this means the VM and not the windows install.  Next question asks "use the entire disk" again assuming the total amount allocated to the VM?

3.  Once installed, this will not lock out my M: drive??, I would think not??

4.  While running off of the LiveDVD, mint17 was in a small window in the center of the screen (about 1/4) of total area.  Is this adjustable?

Sorry for all the ?, but  I am sure it will fall into place after this initial install.  TX

0 Kudos
4 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert

My Win7 machine boots off of CD/DVD first and therefore when starting up, it runs mint rather than Win7, obviously not what I want.

You could change the boot order via the BIOS Smiley Happy

2. Just to make sure I am doing this correctly, once Mint 17 is up and running in a VM, it says to right click on "Install Mint" with further choices being erase disk and install linux mint. I am assuming this means the VM and not the windows install.  Next question asks "use the entire disk" again assuming the total amount allocated to the VM?

3.  Once installed, this will not lock out my M: drive??, I would think not??

4.  While running off of the LiveDVD, mint17 was in a small window in the center of the screen (about 1/4) of total area.  Is this adjustable?

I am assuming you are viewing the screen inside the VM running in the VMware player. If so, yes: install it, however the disk files location you have specified might not have gone to M:\VMware. Before installing, check this location. After installing, you can remove the DVD and it should not "lock" your m drive. Post install, if you can get VMware tools to install on that linux, it would offer you a better resolution, if you cant change it currently.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
meebers
Contributor
Contributor

Tx you roag.  In my typical operation, if I want Mint17 to run, I put the DVD in the DVD drive, boot up to linux.  If I don't want linux, I do not put the DVD disk in there.  A simple solution rather then going into BIOS every time to change.  But since I was running off of the LIVECD linux, it locked that drive.  My plan is to install it permantely on Drive M:   While running the LiveCD, I did get an option to run the tools, I chose yes and they seemed to install without issue.  I will post further results as time progresses.  :OD

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

meebers wrote:  While running the LiveCD, I did get an option to run the tools, I chose yes and they seemed to install without issue.

You obviously do not realize that when running the Live OS from optical media or an ISO Image that the installation of VMware Tools does not persist between reboots! Smiley Wink  You need to install VMware Tools after the Guest OS has been properly installed to the virtual hard drive and then it's properly installed!

0 Kudos
meebers
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to this and am trying to learn it.  But yes I do realize that a LiveCD is a temporary install and nothing remains after you shut your system down.  If I install Mint17 on my M: drive as M:/vmware/Mint17, the next OS(i.e. Winxp) can be installed to M:/vmware/Winxp etc. Is this how it normally is done?

0 Kudos